1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen scrolling

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by steve091266, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve091266

steve091266 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have Windows ME and whenever I am using Outlook/Explorer/Word/Excel..In fact any programme, the screen scrolls uncontrollably up & down.

My Norton Antivirus is up to date & says I'm ok. In desperation I have restored to factory settings, loaded nothing else on, yet I am still having this problem.

Simply typing this has taken about 30 mins & 10 attempts as on top of all this, when in the middle of typing, the explorer screen goes back a couple of pages...

Any help gratefully appreciated, otherwise time to call an expert in!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. steve091266

rollin' rog hi,

thanks for the tip. I do have a logitec mouse & have now unticked it using msconfig. The problem's still here though. Any other ideas? i have cleaned it and even removed the 'mouseball' however it still scrolls.Could it be as simple as needing a new mouse then?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It could be a video driver issue; I would experiment with lower hardware acceleration settings for test purposes at least.

You can do this by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties>Performance>graphics. If a setting of "most" (one notch to the left) resolves it, it might be an acceptable "workaround". But updating or removing and reinstalling the video drivers would probably be needed for a complete solution.

You can also use msconfig a little more aggressively to test for conflicts with running applications. For routine purposes you should leave scanregistry, systray and any antivirus or firewall programs enabled.

I don't think it's a hardware problem with the mouse, tho you may need to remove and reinstall the drivers.

You should also check your IRQs and make sure the mouse has IRQ12 exclusively (necessary for ps/2 mice)

You can check IRQ's by going to start and running msinfo32

Hardware Resources>IRQs

(or throgh the Device Manager)

5. steve091266

Rollin' Rog,

Thanks for the new tips.

Tried reducing the hardware acceleration settings to "most". No joy there

I've run msinfo32 & IRQ12 is exclusive to the ps/2 mouse

I'll let you know how I get on with msconfig testing for conflicts with other applications.

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. I'm very much a novice. Been looking round the site, loads of useful tips. The site's on my favourites now & I'll be recommending you any chance I get. Nice to get such quick responses.Thanks again.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Msconfig is a good troubleshooting utility. Although I don't know what would cause uncontrolled scrolling, for general troubleshooting purposes you should do an updated antivirus scan and a scan for "spyware".

If you don't have an antivirus scanner, you can do an online scan here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Spyware can be detected and removed with the program Ad-Aware:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Read the FAQ
    "Comet Cursor" might be suspect if it is there.

Let us know how it goes..

7. steve091266

Hi again,

No joy with Msconfig. I ticked everything of except Norton, ZoneAlarm, Systray, Scan reg and still had screen scrolling.

I've updated the Norton antivirus & run that, no joy. I also had had a check at the"housecall" site, again I'm ok.

Never even heard of spy ware before now, so thanks to you I am aware of that! Read the faq & installed the programme. There was one in my cookies just called "double click", removed it, but still have screen scrolling.

It does seem to get worse the longer I am using the p.c.

The only thing I've not done which you have suggested is to remove the mouse drivers & reinstall. I have gone to add/remove programmes, however removing the driver is not an option, I have to remove the whole programme. I'm reluctant to do that as I don't have a "Logitec" disk, so assume it's part of the recovery disk I used to reset to factory settings. How do I just remove/reinstall the drivers please??I've had a look on my help & it all looks like I have to remove the whole programme.

Any help gratefully appreciated. I've probably got a friend who could show me this bit but cannot get him round 'till next weekend.

Regards

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice