1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen settings changed!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xfilesgurly, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

Help help help!

I just started my computer - Win98SE (second-user Compaq Armada 1700 laptop, PII233, 64MB RAM, still under the second-hand computer place's warranty I think) and the display was a little square in the centre of the screen and the colours were all wrong! (lowest res, 256 colours)

I've put everything back how it was - but how did it go like that in the first place? All I did last time I used my computer was do Scan Disk, Defrag and download an update for AVG. Though actually I did all that because I'd tried to shut down and it had got stuck on "Windows is shutting down" then when I switched it off then on again it switched itself off while loading and when I tried again it said Windows was *unable to load* last time, did I want to try Safe Mode? I didn't (can't remember why) and it carried on fine.

Come to think of it though, pressing the power button to switch on didn't work first time a couple of days ago...

The screengrab thingy attached is actual size.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Im not sure but I think you have your desktop in active mode.... so right click on your desktop in an empty spot & go to properties...& go to the web tab & then take the check out of active. That will take the abilty away of showing your homepage on your desktop or anything you may have had in new desktop item for the background. Also it will stop some backgrounds from working....but you really don't need to have it active as its a resource hog

Let me know if that solved it

3. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

Nope... it's not in Active Mode... (never has been)

I thinking maybe whatever made it crash on shut down and refuse to load Windows wasn't properly fixed at the time.

Anyway, it came on fine this morning, so fingers crossed...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice