1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen shots and Mail system

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Pearlite, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

I own a 2009 IMac osx desktop. Exactly how do I go about getting a screenshot? Please give me a step-by-step process.

Also, of the 5 or 6 mailboxes I have on this computer, one is giving me problems. Whatever mail I delete off of the 'All Mail' box, comes back within seconds or minutes. Therefore, mail is mounting up in it for months, and nothing on my keyboard or control panel deletes it for long. It is also feeding any outgoing mail I send, back into itself. What do I do to correct this?

2. Headrush

Headrush

1. Command + Shift + 3 takes a full screenshot

Command + Shift + 4 allows you to select region to take screen shot of.
    Command + Shift + 4 + space allows you to select a window to take screen shot of.

2. Are these all POP email accounts or do you have an IMAP type email.

3. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Thank you for replying to my question about screenshots and the mailing system.

When you say, 'command + Option + 3 takes a full screenshot, do you mean I hold down 'command' and 'option' while clicking on 3? Or is it that I just click on to 'command', 'option,' and then 3, etc.? As far as selecting a region of the screen to take a shot of, I don't need to, they just want the whole shot. And on that thought, since the company wants to see the screenshot, do I just copy and paste it onto an email and send it to them, or is there something else I need to know about sending screen shots?

About the email system. What is IMAP mail? Is that a type of mail, like gmail? I do use gmail, but if it's something else, you lost me there. Consider me a beginner, so any step that is involved, please do explain it to me. Thank you again for taking the time to explain things. I'll be waiting for your reply to each of these situations. Bye for now.

4. Headrush

Headrush

Best why to learn is just try it. :)

There is no option or command to click, so yes, that key combination.

A file will appear on the desktop and you can drag that into any email you want.

Gmail can use something called POP or IMAP.

To see which you are using, open Apple Mail app.
    Select Preferences in the Safari Menu.
    Click the Accounts tab.
    Select your gmail account.
    In the information on the right you should see imap.gmail.com for the incoming server if you are using IMAP.

5. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Thank you again for replying to my questions, but I have more for you. I tried holding down 'command' and 'options' and clicking number 3, - nothing. I tried holding command and options down while clicking F3 - and got Expose and Spaces, which included something about keyboard and mouse shortcuts - of which I know nothing, but nothing that looked like a screenshot. I don't like 'trying' these things, because I could so easily screw something up and would not have the foggiest idea of how to unscrew them. So thus far, I still am not getting anything that looks like a screen shot.

About the mail, my computer is set to open on mail, which is fine. I went to Safari at the top left, clicked on preferences, but did not have anything about 'accounts'. I get 'General, Appearance, Bookmarks, Tabs, Rss, AutoFill, Security, Extentions, Advanced' across the top, and Fraudulent site, Location services, Web content, accept cookies, and database storage,' down the middle - no 'account' tab. Is there anything else you can think of that I can do, or have I missed something? I'll be waiting once again, thank you for your patience.

6. Headrush

Headrush

It's command + shift + 3.

There's no destructive commands you can hit that would hurt your system. Anything that modifies the system will show a pop up dialog and get a second verification and/or require an administrator password.

The menu displayed is the Safari menu. (The currently running frontmost application)

You have to switch to Mail if its running already or start it if it isn't.
    You have to click the Mail icon first (assuming it's in your Dock) or otherwise find it in your /Applications folder.
    Either one will switch to or start the Mail application.

Than try the previous requested steps.

7. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Okay, here's what I did to find out what mail application I was on. I clicked on the mail icon in the dock. 'Mailbox' appeared at the top right of the screen. I went to the single heading of 'Mail' which was also on the very top right of the screen, and clicked on that. Under that heading I found 'Preferences,' and clicked on that. A pop up appeared on screen with 'Accounts tab' written in it, and across from that was Mail IMAP. So yes, at least now, we know that is what I am on. Thank you for that.

With that in motion, I pressed command and option, and number 3, but nothing occurred. Do you still have any ideas or is this a little too frustrating for you? If you can find your way to keep on assisting me, I would greatly appreciate it.

8. Headrush

Headrush

It's COMMAND + SHIFT + 3 keys. not option.

9. buffoon

buffoon

Pearlite, please try hitting the button circled in red below. Once. Obviously having the page in front of you that you want to shoot.

[​IMG]

then go into the message (reply) window on here, hover over the message space, right click and choose "paste" with left click.

For other purposes you can do the same by opening word and pasting everything into a new document. Once achieved save it by selecting "save as" and then make sure the file type ends as (you've changed it to) .jpg or .png (e.g. screenshot.jpg or screenshot.png). Then choose the location you want to save it in (I suggest desktop for starters) and you can then later insert it as an attachment into an email etc.

10. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Screenshot accomplished! I had to do something a bit different though. I first clicked on the 'mail' icon in the dock, as instructed. Pressed 'command' and 'shift' as last instructed to do, but pressing the number '3' did nothing, so I pressed 'F3' on top of my keyboard. Voila! I then dragged it to where I wanted it. If anyone has a Mac OS X, this is how it's done. Thank you for your patience and endurance.

Any ideas on what's up with the mail system?

11. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Buffoon. I thank you for getting in on this back-and-forth conversation, however, my keyboard doesn't look at all like the one you show in your picture. I've got a Mac OS X as I just related to 'Headrush,' so perhaps this is the reason for the difference. I have no 'prntscn' on my keyboard, nor anything that hints at a screenshot. Nor do I have the keys you show in your picture. I did open a new message and drag the shot onto the email I was making, and it worked, but I could try right clicking and seeing if there's anything there that does paste. Otherwise, the only other place I know 'paste' is, is under 'edit,' on the top left of my screen. I couldn't really relate to anything else you were saying, as I think my keyboard and computer works are different than yours. Thank you anyway. If you know something about mail system problems, as I've described above in previous replies, perhaps you could tell me what is wrong?

12. Headrush

Headrush

Ignore Buffoon's suggestions, it's for a "PC", not a Mac.

Something is wrong if you press command + shift + F3 to take screenshots.

Maybe someone has modified the default keystrokes. I don't think it matters but your default language and keyboard layout is english?

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#capturescreen

13. Headrush

Headrush

If you click the Apple icon in the menubar, than select ]b\System Preferences]/b], then when the window opens select Keyboard, does the resulting window look like this:

[​IMG]

14. buffoon

buffoon

Apologies.

I was in a rush and should have reread the opening post properly.

15. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hello again Headrush. If I click the 'apple' menu, select 'system preferences,' and click on 'Keyboard,' yes, it basically looks the same as the picture you showed me, except for the right hand column, which lists only, 'Turn dock hiding on/of,' and 'dashboard.' There is no 'save the picture,' 'copy the picture...' etc., on that right hand side, but there is 'screen shots' on the left hand side exactly as you show it. (Yes, Buffoon has stated he was in a rush and didn't look at the entire thread.)
    On the bottom of the picture, you have your blue light on 'All controls,' while mine is on 'Text boxes and lists...' I don't know if this makes a difference. Thank you for the link, I will check into it and see if I can grasp what's being said. I'll be waiting. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice