1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Shut Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike36, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike36

mike36 Thread Starter

While my brother was playing an AOL game, my computer froze up and the screen went black without warning. I had to turn off the computer manually with no way of going through the normal shutdown. This has happened twice. I ran a full update to date scan with AVG and everything seems fine. I'm running on Windows XP Pro. (It freezes for about 5 seconds before the monitor goes off, there is also no message once the monitor goes black)

Thanks in advance.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Sounds like it might be a heat issue. Is this a laptop? If so, make sure you don't play the games with the laptop sitting on top of a bed or pillow. If it is a desktop, is it well ventilated? Do you hear the fans running? Have you blown the dust from the inside of it lately?

Hard to diagnose something like this from afar, but heat is my first guess. Good luck.

3. mike36

mike36 Thread Starter

All the fans are running, the temp are about: CPU: 35C + GPU: 50C

Also, the computer isn't over heating. The computer freezes, then the monitor shuts off. The computer still stays on.

Thanks again guys.

4. helpmerick

helpmerick

Does it happen with anything other than the games? If the computer is still running, but frozen, try running the game in Internet Explorer or Firefox instead of the AOL browser. If the computer freezes in other programs besides the game, try reinstalling/updating the drivers for your video card.

5. mike36

mike36 Thread Starter

It will black out while online also. There's nothing that leads up to it. I can be online for hours and it will happen and other times I can be on for just minutes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice