1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen turning black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BradFazner, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BradFazner

BradFazner Thread Starter

hey sorry that i've posted this samish message in other forums, i'm new to this posting stuff.

when i start windows especially, my screen goes black anytime a program begins to load. it turns off up to 3 times every time a program is loading and then it's fine until i start another program. there is no blacking out during demanding video games. i have uninstalled and installed the newest video card drivers. this has been a bit annoying, but i installed linux and it is constantly turning the screen black so i am stuck with windows xp.
    this wasn't a problem before i bought a new motherboard and ram and processor.

thank you so much for any help!! this has just been annoying for soooo long and i havent found any of my friends that is smart enough to figure this out.

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

I would recommend downloading and running Memtest and use it to test your RAM.

3. BradFazner

sorry for taking so long,
    i downloaded the image and mounted it, but i don't think i know what to do with it, i also mounted the image and clicked on the boot file...should i burn this image and use it as a boot disc?

4. Gnomad

Gnomad

Yeah, you burn the ISO image to a cd and then boot from the cd. Let the test run overnight for more accurate results.

5. jamesx121

jamesx121

when I built my new system I was having trouble with my screen going black after
    about a half-hour of installing the video card, then restarting Vista.
    I would see the start post messages then nothing.

turned out when I originally installed Vista. it used a VGA driver during the O/S
    install process. when I installed the Nvidia software it conflicted with this driver.
    I have a View Sonic screen. I had to download the latest 32bit Vista driver for my
    monitor from View Sonic's web-site. going into device manager it finally showed
    my monitor correctly by name and as a DVI device.
    after that the Nvidia software worked with-out a hitch. works fine.

so go in to device manager and see what you have listed for monitor and if
    it says your device by name or just generic VGA device.

the monitor driver is different from the video graphics driver--

graphics driver from Nvidia or ATI
    monitor driver from who ever made the monitor:eek::eek:

6. BradFazner

i will try the image tonight, but my device manager just says plug and play monitor

7. BradFazner

well i did it and it worked fine, but it found no errors, an other ideas?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice