1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen turns blue/green, flickers, and

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tapion_DB, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tapion_DB

Tapion_DB Thread Starter

My computer has always ran fine, other than a little problem with the video card overheating if I don't keep the cover off. Last weekend I took my computer to a friends house, upon my return, I plugged my computer back in, turned it on, a few hours later, the screen started flickering off and on and then my computer locked up. Ever since then,when I turn on my computer all the colors are messed up, the start menu bar turns red, the background screen turns green, and occasionally the entire screen becomes staticy.. The screen is also flickering as well, but I can still operate the computer while I can't see whats going on. I have no idea what this problem may be caused by, I read some of the older posts about it possible being the moniter, but ive used this same one for several years now. Any help would be appreciated!

My system specs are:
    GeForce 3 Ti500
    Motherboard: Asus a7n8x deluxe
    CPU: AMD XP 1700+
    LCD Samsung moniter
    Ram: 768mb DDR

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

bad airflow caused video card to burn out and now it barely works. i would mod the case to increase air flow,(ie drill holes in cover and place fan over then and have different holes somewhere else). (they are usually there from the factory), and then replace video card. when i get video card (if you feel up to it) take heat sink of the video processor and remove the thermal grease that is there (IF there is any) and replace with some thing like artic silver. that should help you alot

3. Tapion_DB

Tapion_DB Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! Would a bad video card also cause the computer to lock up at times too?

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

yes if it gets worse it wont boot

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

First off,
    I would check your monitor on your friends computer to verfiy that the monitor is okay.

As for the video card....
    Are you overclocking it?
    Overclocking will cause instability if overclocked too much. I cant say that just the video card can cause lockups. Memory problems can also cause lockups. I would download a copy of docmemory @ http://www.simmtester.com to check your ram. Before you run the test reseat your memory. The memory could have wiggled loose while transporting your pc.

Also check the fan on the video card. Is it full of dust? If so a can of air will do wonders. I second the notion of case fans. Amd's are hotter running systems. Is the case you own a amd approved case or just a generic type? Case fans are a must for an amd system. Do you have any installed?

6. Tapion_DB

Tapion_DB Thread Starter

I have a generic case, the video card fan hardly seems to work, it starts then dies out, that is why I have had to keep the side of the case off with an industrial fan blowing into it. I have no case fans (unless you want to consider the industrial fan). I have not tried to overclock my video card. As for the memory, I have reseated it to make sure it wasnt loose. I'll try out the memory test and see if anything shows up.

Thanks

7. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

you can try a last ditch effort and replace the fan on the card and monitors last a long time my dad is still using the same one from 1996 when he had a pentium 1 and the only monitor i seen blow out was one that got wet

8. rosh325

rosh325

im going to state the obvious for the rare instance that this is the problem....have you made sure the monitor cable is plugged in tightly to the back of the computer? If it isnt..and is only partially connected, your color scheme will be off....double check for any bent pins

9. rockinmale

rockinmale

I have to ask who makes your video card?
    Gainward, Msi, visiontek, PNY, etc.....
    I know for a fact that the gainward card has a three year warranty. Since i already had to replace one. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if the card is still under warrranty. It's worth a shot of course.

If not, see if they can ship you a replacement fan at your expense. Its much cheaper to do it that way. There are aftermarket video card cooling fans, but some wont connect properly on the chip. Plus, if it doesnt work you have to go through the trouble of having to return it for a refund.

As for running the machine with an industrial fan next to it. I wouldnt recommend it. The card sounds like its already overheating. Continued overheating is going to cause the card to become flaky and unstable. It's just a matter of time before it goes up in smoke. When the card fry's it could possibly burn out your agp slot on the motherboard. I would refrain from using the computer until you can get this fixed or replace the card.

I hope the info helps.....
    Good luck!
    rockinmale:cool:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/130490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice