1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen turns to purple

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dg81, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dg81

dg81 Thread Starter

My screen turns purple if I bump my computer tower.
    I then have to wiggle around the monitor connection to the graphics card to get it back to normal color.
    I can still see the screen when this happens, there is just like a purple overlay.
    Could this be my gfx card or monitor cable?

Have a 19'' Samsung SyncMaster 912n monitor and a Radeon x550 gfx card.

Thanks in advance

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its most likely the connection.
    Unplug and replug the video cable 5 or 10 times, it should self-correct.

Or it could be a faulty cable connection in the plug.

3. erick295

erick295

Almost certainly a connector problem... you're losing the green part of the signal, leaving red and blue to make purple. As he said, reconnect it (I don't know about the five or ten times part, but I guess it can't hurt). If that doesn't work, and this is a separate card, try reseating the card just to be sure (I've never heard of a poorly seated card causing that phenomenon, but you never know). You might have to replace the cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584401