1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen wont come back after screensaver is up for more than a few minutes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by valley, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valley

valley Thread Starter

When I leave my computer on and walk away from it, the screensaver comes on, then after a few minutes the screensaver disappears and the screen goes black and it stays that way. I move the mouse, hit alt/ctrl/del on my keyboard and cannot get it to "wake up". I end up having to power down and restart every time. Been this way for months now...figured it was time to ask and see if anyone had any tips for me. I have winXP.

2. jaelanicu

jaelanicu

Go to Contol Panel and open the Power Options. Disable the Turn Off Monitor (set to never) and click Apply button then test it first by waiting for a few minutes.

If it still goes blank and hangs, then go to Contol Panel and open the Power Options again to disable the Standby option (set to never) and click Apply button then test it first by waiting for a few minutes.

If it's working now and never hanged, then you may have a faulty power management (by BIOS) or one of your expansion card doesn't support the standby mode.

3. gaftop1

gaftop1

mine does the same thing. i just turn the monitor off and back on. comes to life

4. jaelanicu

jaelanicu

gaftop1:
    In your case, do this:

Go to BIOS setup into power management section, and set the option involving monitor which has the choices:

1. Blank
    2. V+H Sync (or something like that)
    3. DPMS

Set the option to choice #2 or #1.

5. valley

valley Thread Starter

thanks a bunch. jaelanicu! :) I switched the settings like you said but have yet to test it out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/199826