1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen won't come on IMoved from Windows 8 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gemdanv14, May 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Gemdanv14

Gemdanv14 Thread Starter

I have a toshiba satellite laptop. When charger is plugged in laptop will only turn on. Won't turn on without it. I turn laptop on the battery LED light will appear for just a few seconds then comes off. Power liget button stays on when laptop is on but just black screen. I've tried taking out the battery and replug it back in and power on but still nothing. I've looked at some.some . youtube videos and followed some of the steps still nothing.

I know i need a new battery as it won't turn on without the charger plugged in. Could that be the cause?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

W hat happens if you disconnect the battery
    leave it disconnected and then power on with only AC adapter connected

What please are the steps you have followed from the YouTube

3. Gemdanv14

Gemdanv14 Thread Starter

It does the same thing when removing battery and keeping charger in and that's what the youtube video told me to do also said something about plugging in to another monitor and pressing FN+F3/F8 but still nothing happened.

4. Macboatmaster

Any keyboard leds on, is drive activity light on
    What is the history to this problem
    By that I mean a sudden occurrence or preceded by some other problems of crashes etc

5. Gemdanv14

Gemdanv14 Thread Starter

Yes keyboard led comes on and the time before I went on the laptop it came on to a screen full of writing it was a black screen I went on to safe mode and rebooted. Laptop was restarted and went on to startup as normal just took more longer to load. And now this time nothing on screen but laptop runs. Everytime I plug in my charger the led light will come on then come back off a few seconds later

6. Macboatmaster

It could be a faulty AC adapter
    OR of course it could be a transient fault on the internal connections for the power circuit in the laptop
    The first thing to try is another AC adapter

7. Gemdanv14

Gemdanv14 Thread Starter

Thank you I will do so. My laptop won't turn/stay on unless charger is plugged in so I will get a new battery also. Thanks for your help

8. Macboatmaster

I would hold off on the battery until you have tested it with a replacement AC adapter
    If the same fault exists with the new power supply, and you manage to establish it is the internal circuitry - no use wasting money on a battery as well

9. Gemdanv14

Gemdanv14 Thread Starter

Okay will do thanks for your help

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    More than likely. Does this Toshiba laptop have a BIOS / Diagnostic to check the battery?

Also Window should have a power icon on the bottom right (default) and it may tell you the battery is bad.

Does the bottom of the laptop seem uneven? If the battery did go bad, the cells may expand and try to push on the casing (i have seen this many times).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice