1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screens got green dots after mobo upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by producerlawson, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. producerlawson

producerlawson Thread Starter

So I have just had to swap my motherboard after a power surge got hold of my last one.

Now my graphics cards are randomly putting green dots all over some web pages & programs.

[​IMG]

I've seen blue and red ones too on the odd occasion. I do remember having a similar issue with just one monitor a while back, and as far as I can remember I just kept fiddling with the cables. That isn't working this time though.. is it just a case of upgrading drivers, because of the new mobo?

Also I've chosen not to put my crossfire cables on, simply because I was not using crossfire any more.. a little silly but would that contribute?

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you clean install windows after the mb swap?

3. producerlawson

Nope, I'm working on audio production. So I'm pretty tight on time at the moment for reinstalling software & presets etc.

With that said, I don't even have a proper Win Ultimate installation disc.. I only have a Home Premium copy, and then an upgrade disc which I bought as a student. So that would add a little while ontop.

I'm guessing it would be recommended?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you change mb, you either have to clean install windows OR follow a procedure outlined at the top of the hardware forum for swapping boards without a clean install.

At this point, you might try the following before doing a clean install;

1 Download the chipset/mb drivers for your new board, download the sound, nic drivers, etc. Place these on a flash drive, second hd, NAS, etc.
    2 Uninstall the following; current chipset drivers, video drivers, sound driver, any software for your old mb such as monitoring software, onboard sound, etc. Do not reboot when doing this; just tell it later. Once you are all finished with the uninstalls, reboot.
    3 Now install your new drivers as follows; 1 install chipset/mb driver 2 install sound driver 3 install nic driver and last install video driver. During this part go ahead and reboot each time when prompted.

You do understand that the pw surge that fried your mb may have damaged your video card as well correct?

5. producerlawson

I'll give that a try. I might actually quickly try removing the ATI video drivers as I vaguely remember this stopping a similar issue in the past.

Yeah it did pass my mind as did the rest of my gear. I can see this becoming an expensive week. One of the two cards does seem to have settled down quite a bit, or at least it does once it's got running.

Muchly appreciate the help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice