1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screensaver Error at Vista Logon Screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jchonparadise, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchonparadise

jchonparadise Thread Starter

I have several Dell XPS One A2010 machines running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I have them all configured and installed the same way. I am required to have a specific custom screensaver run when the machine sits idle at the logon screen.

I do this easily by modifying the registry entry for HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXE to point to the .scr file in the System32 folder.

My problem is that on about half of the machines, the screensaver runs just fine - no issues. But on the other half I get one of two results. I either get a black screen after the timeout for a second or two then it goes back to the logon screen. Or I get the error:
    -------------
    XXXXXX.scr - Application Error
    The instruction at 0x6720af45 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The
    memory could not be read.
    -------------
    ALL of these machines were purchased, configured and installed at the same time. :-/

2. Davoo

Davoo

I'm seeing this error randomly when screensaver begins to launch and it appears to be caused by the following criteria...

1. Recent Adobe flash update

2. Screensaver swf file being greater than about 5 mb

3. Hardware specific, it appears to only happen on a particular model of laptop we have.

Rolling back to an older version of Adobe flash isn't really an option as it is seen as a security risk. Deploying small screensavers is an option but it limits what we can deploy.

I have tried updating video drivers on a problematic laptop but it hasn't helped...

Oh and we're on Windows XP, so may or may not be relevent.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice