1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screensaver password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rtgjeg, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rtgjeg

rtgjeg Thread Starter

I'm trying to limit access to my PC through the password protect feature of my screensaver. When I configure my screensaver a box that says "On resume, Display Welcome screen". I checked this box, so that the screensaver will go to the Welcome Screen when it exits. This works fine if the screensaver is initiated by windows automatically (when the appropriate time of inactivity elapses). However, I've created a shortcut to the screensaver, and when I double-click it, the screensaver loads, but when I deactivate it (move the mouse, press a key) it does not go the the Welcome Screen, so the computer is not locked. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Dan O

Dan O

It should have worked. Try assigning the shortcut a hot-key to invoke it..

Rightclick your new shortcut icon on your desktop and select "Properties" from the menu. Select the "Shortcut" tab at the top of this dialog box and put your cursor in the box next to "Shortcut key" where it now says "none" and hit the letter of your choice on your keyboard (in this example I chose "S" for screensaver, but you can use any letter or character on your keyboard). Notice, this box now displays "Ctrl+Alt+<whatever character you chose>" This is the hotkey combo that will launch your screensaver instantly.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

Another thing you can do is, when your ready to leave your PC, click on the "window key + L" and this will automatically bring you to the welcome screen where you can set up your password.

The windows key is usually located next the the Alt. key on the keyboard.

4. rtgjeg

rtgjeg Thread Starter

I tried assigning a "hot-key", and that gives me the same result. I've used the "Windows-L" sequence, and that works, but then my screensaver is not accessible.

5. Dan O

Dan O

What screensaver are you using and have you tried others?

6. rtgjeg

rtgjeg Thread Starter

Right now I'm using a JPG rotator. However, I have tried most of the screensavers that come with Windows XP and have had the same results.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Your screensaver should still kickin even if you lock your desktop. That is what it is there for.

8. Dan O

Dan O

9. rtgjeg

rtgjeg Thread Starter

Thanks Squashman. I never thought to lock the computer first then wait for the screensaver to kick-in. I wanted to start the screensaver and then have it lock the computer. The reason for this is because I like to set the time for the screensaver to an absurdly high number (like 900 minutes). That way I don't have to worry about the screensaver to start while I'm in the middle of something. Early in my computing days this caused a problem. When I had a 1200 baud modem (on a DOS system), the screensaver would come in in the middle of a long download and corrupt the file being downloaded. This probably shouldn't be a problem any longer, I was just stuck in that mindset. I'm still befuddled over the original problem, but at least you were able to give me a work-around. Thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice