1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screensaver problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MyName, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

I'm having problems after coming back to my computer after the screensaver has been on. This doesn't happen everytime, but it has occured a good number of times. Basically, the computer is really slow coming back, all the icons appear slow, the items in the taskbar appear really slowly, if at all, and when I click a program I wait a long time and the mouse goes to the hourglass. I ctrl+alt+del to restart the computer, because I can't open the Start menu. So, the computer just appears REALLY slow. I'm on a Win 98 system. I only have 54% of resources, so I think that may be a problem. Also, I didn't defrag in a long time so when I tried it took 2 hours and still didn't have 1%. Any ideas on what I can do? How do I free up resources if that is the problem. Thanks!

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. beach51

beach51

Hi MyName,Lets start by cleaning out your temp folders.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-Dos>At the C:\prompt type

Smartdrv (hit the enter key)

Deltree/y Tempor~1 (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y History (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y Cookies (hit the enter key)

Exit (hit the enter key).

Now go to Start>run>type in msinfo32>click ok>click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click edit>select all>edit,copy and paste the page back here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice