Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Screenshot alternative for Windows 10

551 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Stephank 
#1 ·
I often use screenshot feature with Windows 10 Home edition. I save the file, go back to Pictures folder and edit (crop). I'd rather crop the screen and save it with a file name. Snip & Snetch usually works but it does not let me chose destination folder. (Maybe I don't know how to do it.) I have just found this article on Web for different alternatives. Is anybody here familiar with one of them? Any recommendations? All I want to do is drag the corners of what I want to save (mostly Internet sites), enter a file name and save as jpg file. thank you.

https://www.anysoftwaretools.com/best-snipping-tools-for-windows/

#3 ·
Thanks James. I used to click start, go to programs and select 'snip and sketch'. A Windows update in the past somehow made it disappear!. So, I downloaded the program from Microsoft's store, and saved a shortcut on taskbar. I don't remember seeing the old floppy disk looking icon you marked.
I am typing this on my chromebook, and the other pc with Windows 10 is currently busy with some video editing. When I get a chance, I will try again and see what happens. The problem I am running into is 'snip and sketch' saves the file in clipboard, which I hate. I'd like to pick the destination. I will report here after my experiment.

#4 ·
Ok, I tried and failed! When I enter 'snipping tool' in search box, a small windows opens and shows it is moving with future updates and suggests snip and sketch. I created a shortcut for snip and sketch on taskbar. I open it, and drag the + sign for borders. The save icon (floppy disk in your picture) is on the top of minimize icon! So, the windows size changes when I click it. No saving in clipboard. I wonder if this program was corrupted when I downloaded it from Microsoft store. I didn't try deleting and redownloading it back from the store. I downloaded an alternative 'Greenshot' from link in my first thread. That solved my issue. It is strange that Windows' own program is not working for me.

#6 ·
I am on Windows 10 Education and we block the Microsoft Store so that may be part of the reason you see the difference, we may not getting updates.

As to the Snipping tool, it still works but will show the 'new snip and sketch' message. You can ignore that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.