Screenshots and EXIf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lolatheorange

Hi! I've been asking many people but nobody gave me an answer I needed so I got here.
I found a screenshot on my friend's laptop, actually many of them but one caught my eye. The image/screenshot was named "Screenshot_20210131_12345(some 5 random numbers, this was an example)_com.instagram.android.jpg"
My question is- was that image/screenshot taken that day, 31st January 2021? Because my friend claims that this screenshot changed the date to the date she transferred the photos from her phone to the laptop. I believe she did not change any EXIF stuff I heard about, she wouldn't have the time to change it on so many pics. Also, there was another photo named "IMG_20200808_....." and when I cliked on that pic with the right click and went to properties, it said Created 2nd February 2021, Modified 8th September 2020 and Acessed 10th September 2021 (the day I found it.) What do these mean?
She CLAIMS the pics changed the names/dates as soon as she transferred the pics from old phone to laptop, but I'm just not buying it until I hear from an expert that it's possible.

This is crucial to me as it might end something that's been going on for a very long time. I'm desparate and would appreciate any help with this given. Thank you so much!
Lola

More often than not, copying to computer resets the file's creation and modification dates to the date and time the copy was made. However, it should not cause any change or loss of exif data.

lolatheorange

More often than not, copying to computer resets the file's creation and modification dates to the date and time the copy was made. However, it should not cause any change or loss of exif data.
oh, does this mean the screenshot WAS taken on that date? I have many pics like her and the dates are right.

Copying does not usually change the file name itself. The only time that might happen is when a file with the exact name already exists in the destination folder., so the Operating System will often add something to the end of the file name like an (02) or similar.

lolatheorange

Copying does not usually change the file name itself. The only time that might happen is when a file with the exact name already exists in the destination folder., so the Operating System will often add something to the end of the file name like an (02) or similar.
Yeah I get that but it's not what I'm asking

The image/screenshot was named "Screenshot_20210131_12345(some 5 random numbers, this was an example)_com.instagram.android.jpg"
My question is- was that image/screenshot taken that day, 31st January 2021?
More than likely, yes ... because copying does not usually change the file name.

plodr

Liz
Pictures don't change names. I regularly move pictures from phone to PC then to another PC and to a chromebook.

Guess when this was taken? 20210706_171523.jpg
It went from phone to PC and then to my chromebook and it is that name on all 3 devices.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online