1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screw on heatsink + possible shortcircuit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warning|, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Warning|

Warning| Thread Starter

Hey,

maybe you guys can help me here,

my setup is the following..

ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe P5ND2SLIDLX
    with 4GB of RAM
    windows XP sp2
    80GB HDD

the issue that i am having is the following.. recently i decided to clean up my PC during the process some of the pushpins on the heatsink broke.

so i decided to break off the pushpins and try to go with a screw on approach so i went off and bought 4 1 inch screws.

now my question is what is the best approach for me to screw these on to my computer case without shorting anything out.

the heatsink i have is the " freezer pro 7"

please help.

Let me know if you guys require more information on my setup

2. BG-0

BG-0

Hmm. Use screw sleeves, just to be sure... I think there's a non-shorting are around all the holes in the mobo, at least one is around the standoff holes.

3. Warning|

Warning| Thread Starter

FYI:

i drilled some holes on the computer case that line up with those of the motherboard where the heatsink is placed.

where can i get these screw sleeves will lowes or homedepot carry them?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Got your PM about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. I would get 8 nylon washers, install one washer on each screw, and insert the screws facing up from underneath the motherboard. Then install the heatsink, add a washer to each screw and secure with nuts.

Or forget the washers and just use nylon screws and nuts. You should be able to find what you need at Lowe's or Home Depot if they are close by.

5. Warning|

Warning| Thread Starter

just to clarify.. so just forget about the hole i drilled on the case and secure the heatsink to the motherboard on its on with the screws.?

should it go like this.. screw>nylon washer>motherboard>nylon washer>bolt..?

yes?

Thanks in advance guys

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes. Screwing the heatsink and motherboard down against the case may warp (or crack) the motherboard.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!