1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screwed Myself

Discussion in 'Networking' started by malodicone, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malodicone

malodicone Thread Starter

OK, I got some stuff on my work laptop that i wanted to transfer to my home pc. my work laptop is on a domain, so that being the case i changed to my home pc workgroup. I rebooted the machine and now my login does not work.
    i am on windows xp sp2. I do have admin rights on my login name. is there a way to use the repair consol to roll back my system to a day before i changed the settings. or any fix at all. i really dont wanna have to look like a dumb *** and ask the admin to fix my notebook. funny thing is i have been a tech for about 5 years. not to hot on networking tho. i can do a home network but i dont know enough about domains and stuff to fix this problem.
    any help would be great...thanks

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Can you log back on to the work laptop when you change to domain? If you can, you don't have to be on your home workgroup to transfer files.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to log into the computer with a local account. You're probably using your domain account which will no longer work. Talk to your company's IT department about this. They may have some utilities to get you back on the domain.

4. malodicone

i dont have a local acount setup. i guess i will have to talk to the admin about this. thanks guys.

5. malodicone

also, if i knew more about domains this wouldnt have happend. and i have another wuick q. how come i cant boot the machine with a cd or what not and restore the registry like we used to be able to do in windows98. is it because of the file structure is ntfs? or is it some kind of malformed security issue?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is always a local account of some kind on a machine, at least the admin account. You just need to set the login to the not logon to the domain and select local machine only.

7. malodicone

i know that th eadmin will be a local acount but i dont know the pw. also when i changed the domain to workgroup that option to log into local machine totally went away. there is ok.shutdown.options, and cancel i think. but clicking the option only makes the shutdown button go away.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The reason that option went away is because now you can ONLY log onto the workstation. What you "should have done" in hindsight was before pulling it off the network since you had Admin rights you should have created a local account. logged on with thel ocal account and pulled the info you needed to it. then taken it off the domain. You still probably would have had to talk to the domain admin to put it back on. Taking machines off the domain can be tricky.

Personally I would have hooked it up on your home network and tried to connect to your workgroup from still being on the domain.

It probably would have been a little easier and not caused this whole mess.

Never fear though once the domain admin gets it back on the domain you should be able to log on with you reg user id and password and be up and running again.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is free software available on the Internet to change the password of an local user's account.

Due to conflicting information, I'm ot sure if it's ok to post on this forum.

So send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice