1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screwed up the computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cianco301, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cianco301

cianco301 Thread Starter

Okay. I have a Dell Dimension 2400. 4 years old. Decided to wipe the hard drive and start fresh. Unfortunately I only know enough to really screw things up. So I reinstalled Windows XP and now I can't find LAN in my network connections. I am on my husbands laptop now so I know our internet connection itself is still working. I have tried reinstalling all the disks that came with the computer. We have broadband cable internet thru Comcast.
    Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to install drivers for the Ethernet adapter. Go to Dell Support, and enter either the service tag number or the model number for the computer and download what you need.

3. cianco301

cianco301 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. Slap me stupid but if I can't get on the internet how I am supposed to download something? Are you telling me to download off another computer and burn to a CD or something? Won't downloading to another computer screw that one up?

Thanks again!

4. Angron

Angron

Go to dell's customer support page like specified, use some kind of storage device (memory pen/cd/dvd etc) and download the ethernet driver, once downloaded extract the file (on the computer that has no connection) and it should fix your internet connection problem. once this is done go to windows update page and download everything they offer you, this will clear up a few driver problems.

To check what drivers are missing right click My Computer and click manage, then device manager, and devices that come up as yellow are missing, dells website should have all drivers needed.
    hope this has helped :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice