1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screwy Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tacocaster, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tacocaster

Tacocaster Thread Starter

The fan on my laptop just recently started acting differently. For the most part I use my laptop to surf the web, IM, and play music. Just recently I've noticed that out of no were the fan seems to kick into high gear or something. Honestly I'm not even sure if the fan is on at times and then it is turning on? It seems like it does this for no apparent reason. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds like it could be going out on you. I'd keep a close eye on it as you don't want the laptop overheating...........

3. Tacocaster

Alright. How hard is it to replace the fan on a laptop?

4. Tacocaster

Also, is there a way to check the temp of my computer?

5. ~Candy~

Probably not very, it's going to be harder to find the fan from my experience, especially if it's a SUNON fan.........last I checked they were backorderd a year :eek: That was a year ago, so you might be ok :p

Also, it'll probably be harder to figure out how to open the laptop :eek:

What do you have? Gateway? Dell?

6. ~Candy~

Look in the bios setup....you may have some readings there.

7. Tacocaster

Dell Inspirion 5150. I got it this past August.

8. ~Candy~

I'd call them. You are only a couple months out of warranty. Someone should be able to give you a part number and tell you how easy it is or isn't to replace the fan.

9. ~Candy~

10. Tacocaster

I ran a complete diagnostics test and then just a fan test and both times the fan passed the test. Also from what I noticed the fan did not speed up while it was doing the tests. It only sped up when it was testing the fan at a high rpm. So this leads me to believe that the problem is something software related.

Also, I recently purchased a 500 watt am/fm receiver and have that located next to my laptop (say 4 inches to the left of it). As we all know these produce some heat and can get warm. I highly doubt that the amount of heat the receiver puts off is enough to piss my laptop off though.

11. Firah

Firah

Download Aida32 Enterprise and run it. It will tell you a whole lot about your system including temps.

For temps, click Computer> sensor.

Also, I have a Compaq presario and the fan only comes on (or speeds up) when the temp reaches a certain level.

12. Tacocaster

I dloaded and installed Aida32 Enterprise and I clicked the sensor tab, but nothing shows up. The whole half of the window were information is displayed is gray.

13. Tacocaster

Where in the BIOS is it possible to check the temperature of my computer?

14. ~Candy~

Not sure if it is an option on the laptop, but thought I'd mention it....just look around for temps. If you don't see anything, then it's not an option. I don't have a Dell laptop in front of me now to check......

15. Firah

Firah

Maybe Aida32 doesn't work on laptops. Never tried it. Sorry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice