screwy HD... so i opened it...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

salamanderman

so... i got this Toshiba laptop drive from a client who said he didn't want it anymore... it was a 40GB, 5400 RPM drive... and he said it was acting funny, so i ran a chkdsk on it... got through, got:

34912048 KB total disk space.
11322276 KB in 87505 files
29208 KB in 5833 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
210628 KB in use by system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file
23349932 KB available on disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
8728012 total allocation units on disk
5837483 allocation units available on disk

normally when i see "in bad sectors" and the drive isnt too important, i just take apart the HD and steal the magnet, trashing the rest... but this time i wanted to have some fun, so i took the top off of it (while it was running, kuz im an idiot...) and ran the chkdsk again... this time i got all the same things, except for 0 KB in bad sectors... not necessarily a problem... but why is it that when its all together, i get KB in bad sectors, but then when i take it apart, it looks/works fine?

a little perplexed, and oddly curious, anyone know of anything about this?

thanks,

Heh, I remember when I was with my friend looking for old HDDs to steal magnets from them at a local electronics back yard where there was tech junk that anyone could take (I don't know if that was legit, but anyways there only were a few surveillance cameras and they weren't pointed at the place where the junk was)...
Anyways, you tried to run chkdsk again after putting it together?(you put it back together, right? :D)

salamanderman

nah, i didnt try putting it back together yet, i was just perplexed by the complete contrast to what everyone says about taking apart HDs and ruining them, i shall do that tommorrow at work and tell you the result

and i use them for random little things... like putting on my refridgerator, and watching my daughter (3.5 yr old) have a go at taking the magnets off, and pulling them apart when i stick 2 together, its pretty funny to watch her struggle so hard!

Sorry to be off topic... But what do you use the magnets for?
My Refrigerator is covered with these magnets. They're much more powerful than the standard "fridge" magnet, and it makes me feel as though I've recycled something.
It's also somewhat educational to take apart a drive. I also save the screws and miscellaneous cool-looking parts. Maybe I need to get a life.

A possible reason for the chkdisk discrepanacies is fluff. Sometimes there is a tiny little corruption, like a speck of dust, that can stick to the platters. When you open it, the air flow can be enough to clear it and free up a previously bad sector. drives dont have to be sealed to work, but its easier when you have a virtually dust free environment.:)

salamanderman

looks like well never know what the chkdsk with it closed again would have shown...

came to the office this morning to find my boss playing with the disk to the pre-mentioned hard drive (getting prints all over it)...

he apologized when i told him that it was a little experiment of mine that he had just screwed up by taking it apart.

im still unconvinced that it would be dust though, because at 5400 rpm (90 revs per second) it seems a little impossible for dust to cling to a hard drive...

Sorry- when I said dust, i wasnt talking about a speck, but a minute particle. These can get lodged in the disk (the surface looks smooth, but you have tiny pits all over it). Alternatively, there could be a minute moisture drop (small as in SMAALL) this could also be responsible. If you still have the platters, and can get a microscope or very VERY good magnifying glass, have a lok at it, and you can see the surface texture :)
Also have to remeber that when you get to particles this small, the physics tend to work slightly differently to what you may expect, in as much as meniscular forces , air resistance ( being a M force component), and such like act very differently and particles can act very diffeently to the way you would normally expect. :)

salamanderman

I guess you're correct, however, still doesn't explain why it WAS there when top was on, and then worked perfectly and showed no bad sectors when i took it apart...

if there is no explainable reason, ill just leave it to HD gnomes and such.. because all I'm getting from searching around is that its just an interesting, and unique anomaly... (haven't seen any other cases of this specific thing happening, because most of the time, people don't run CHKDSKs after they've opened a hard drive...)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online