1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Script Conversion!

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by CyBerAliEn, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn Thread Starter

Hey,

Well, I thought I could find something to use in place of it, but it is a complete waste. What I need is someone who can convert CGIEMAIL, which is in C++, to PERL, or so that there is a PERL script which functions EXACTLY as the C++ version does. I'm not really sure about paying someone to do it yet, because I'm not sure how much I'll get charged.

First off, I've supplied a ZIP file of CGIEMAIL at:
    www.cyberspacews.com/core/scripts/cgiemail.zip

Secondly, the version that I had been using of CGIEMAIL was free with my free account at:
    www.freeservers.com

Next, if someone will be willing to do this and do it right and the way I wish, then I would be willing to pay. But it would need to be done through:
    www.rentacoder.com

But my main reason for being here is, do you have any idea how much it'll cost me to have someone convert it over to PERL?

Thanks!

PS: Additionaly, I might be interested in getting scripts for a message board system. Much like the ones at www.gamers.com but how much do you think that'll cost?

Andrew

2. Rockn

Rockn

CGIEMAIL was created at MIT and given out freely so people could basically beta test it for them. I would contact them and see if they have done a conversion to another language. The message board you were referring to is done in ASP and there are plenty of free ASP boards out there. Go to www.asp101.com you can download theirs for free and modify it any way you wish.

What is so important functionally in that email utility that you couldn't do the same thing with in ASP or even PHP?

Looked at the code in the modules and it would be a lot of work. They would probably just trash the whole thing and ask you what kind of functionality you were looking for in your script. Most programmers charge well over $100/hr so why pay that much if you can get something that is already made and will do the same job or better.

3. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

I found someone at my school who could possibly convert it all for me for just $20, so I'm looking into that.

Other than that, I have downloaded exactly 347 different email scripts, and none of them come close to matching CGIEMAIL, even the ones that claim to be a "clone" of it.

Basically, I need a simple script which will turn a form into an email with the following fields, some are similar, but they have limitations that limit me.

***All the fields should be hidden fields, etc***

required - field with list of all required fields (ex: email,name,address)

message - field indicating a "template" to use to send emails. What I also would like is for it to have more than 1 or 2, cause in some cases I need "auto replies" and 6 different emails to be sent to 6 different people.

redirect - simple fields indicated where to go when it is done (ex: www.msn.com)

Then, to do what I really want to do, is use a simple template like:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: Planet[UBH] - Post Link
    X-Originating-IP: $REMOTE_ADDR

[UBH], UNION OF BOUNTY HUNTERS
    Since Early November of 2000

<<<POST LINK>>>
    Tribes Name: $TribesName
    Email Address: $Email
    Site URL: $URL
    Site Title: $SiteTitle

From Page: $HTTP_REFERER
    Client IP: $REMOTE_ADDR
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

But because I could specify multiple "messages", multiple messages could be sent out. One would be sent to me, another different template could be setup to go to the sender giving a customized receipt or thank you, etc...

If you know of any script which exactly matches this, then please tell me, cause I've given up on all the damn free scripts. But one other thing I would like it to have (in the script itself), is a line specifying the domains that it can be used on, that way outsiders can't be using my script for their own site.

Anyway, I hope to get some good answers. As for the MIT thing, if you read it, the project was "abondaned" years ago, and they no longer support it, etc...

Andrew

4. Randy48

Randy48

I can't help with the e-mail problem, but with the forum software I use ikonboard. Easy to setup, very stable and is done in Perl CGI. Check out the forum on my site, the link is in my sig.

5. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

thx for the forum advice. But I already use Ikonboard. Its great and all, but it lacks some qualities and options that make me wanna look for something else, other than that, it is great. Cause I would like a forum where peeps can create their own automatically and have all the options and etc... available to them as well, so that they could change their colors, etc... Also so that the forums are,,, well... I don't know how you say it, but expanded? Where all the messages in a thread are shown under it so you can get to it right away, etc...

Anyway, thx for the advice, I have mine at:
    www.cyberspacews.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

But as for all that ASP site stuff, thanks for the advice, but I currently lack the time and complete interest to learn ASP from a bunch of samples, its a lot easier for me to pay some like $50 to do it for me.

Andrew

6. Rockn

Rockn

GO to Maximumreboot.com and look at their board. You can have user custmizable settings for colors, etc. I think it is written in PHP. $50....LOL If you want it done for free do it yourself.

7. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

I'll check it out, and thx for ur help, u seem to reply to every message I post, lol...

Anyway, I think I just might hire a programmer to do it all for me. Any suggestions on who I should hire to do it. If not, its ok, I know where to go to get some people.

Andrew

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice