1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Script Error & Can't Defrag

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by linedancer29, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linedancer29

linedancer29 Thread Starter

:confused: Please help. I am using Windows ME with I.E. 6.0 after being on dial up with NTL I changed to Broadband with B.T. but my usual passworded desktop would say it could not detect network, so I used another desktop that didn't have a password as that was the only way I could install Broadband. Now I am having problems doing a thorough scan and defrag. Thorough scan won't go beyond 8 blocks even after an hour and defragging won't get past 4% even after 4 hours. I tried going into help and support but when ever I try related topics or try to get to Dr. Watson I have an error message saying
    An error has occurred in the script of this page
    Line: 621
    Char: 9
    Error: Object doesn't support this properly or method
    Code: 0
    URL: c:\WINDOWS\help\windows chm::/app.dr_watson.htm
    Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    If I press yes nothing happens I still get the same message.
    How do I correct this as I have used Dr. Watson before, though a long time ago.
    Why can't my computer do it's defrag? or thorough scan?
    Simple answers would be appreciated.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Do it in safe mode

3. 911

Scandisk (and also disk Defragmenter) do require that nothing else be running while they are doing their thing. Some programs may not look like they are running, but they keep trying to start up, or update files (changing your hard drive) while Scandisk is trying to check it. You can shut down every program running manually, but it is much easier to use Safe Mode, which prevents them from starting up.

Using Safe Mode:

Reboot your computer and tap your F8 key repeatedly until a black screen with the Windows Startup Menu appears.

Choose option # 3 (Safe Mode) by pressing the 3 on your keyboard or selecting it with your arrow keys.

Press the Enter key to begin booting into Safe Mode. Note, it will take a few moments longer than a regular boot. You are in Safe Mode when Windows displays Safe Mode in all four corners of the desktop and a Safe Mode message appears. (The desktop may be smaller and the mouse will be slow and sluggish.)

Now you can start Scandisk or (Disk Defragmenter). Do not touch your mouse or keyboard while it is running.

4. linedancer29

Thanks MFDnSC and 911 did thorough scan and defrag in Safe Mode, now just need to sort out the script error.Can't use my help and support because of it. Certain sites I visit say script error too and page , game or picture probably will not function properly. Any ideas?

5. linedancer29

Help! Now I have another problem, after being in Safe Mode I did an AVG scan and found I had 2 Trojan horse virus's. Had nothing but these virus's since downloading the new updated AVG a couple of days ago. Had to go back into Safe Mode to get rid of them as they were in my restore temp. files. Now everything is much bigger than it should be. My display was saying the color was on"256 color" which I managed to change to "High color (16 bit)" but my usual colour was "True color (16 bit)" but the option for that was not there. It's saying the pixels are at it's lowest at "640 by 480" which is my usual size, so how do I get my picture back to the original size? Can anyone help?

6. 911

"My display was saying ....."
    "It's saying the pixels ...."
    My display doesn't ever say anything. Where are you getting these 'sayings' from ? Have you checked into "Display Properties" and found these settings, or are you getting some kind of error messages ? It's hard to understand the problem without knowing the whats and wheres. Try clicking the "Display" icon in Control Panel, and select the Settings tab to see if you can find what you need. I'm not sure from your message whether or not you have been there.

7. linedancer29

Sorry 911, like I said I'm a complete novice when it comes to the workings of the computer. I clicked my screen and onto customize my desktop When screen appeared I clicked on settings. Pixels were set on lowest, (640 by 480) and True color (16 bit) was not showing up, only nearest thing was High color (16 bit). Yes I did try display icon in control panel and was exactly the same. Seems this computer doesn't like being in Safe Mode or perhaps it does, which is why I have this problem. Picture background is the same as in Safe Mode, and all pages on the web the same. I can only tell you what my computer is "saying" or displaying to me. I just don't understand why this has happened, or how to rectify this problem.

8. 911

It sounds like you do not understand that the Settings tab of Display properties is a control panel rather than just a readout of your settings. You can change the settings. I am attaching a 'Before and After' screenshot that will show what I mean.

There is a slider in the box named Screen area. Put your cursor on the slider, click and drag it from "less" to "more". Then click the inverted triangle at the right side of the Colors box. A drop down menu will allow you to select the setting that you want, by clicking on your choice. When you have the settings that you want, click Apply at the bottom. You may need to restart your computer to put the new settings into effect.

Attached Files:

9. linedancer29

Thanks 911. moved the slider to 600 by 800 pixels and that solved the picture problem. I was so sure I had been using 640 by 480 before,(DOH... well I am a blonde) hence the confusion. But still have problem with error notice in Help and Support. I wanted to check if I needed to update my drivers but whenever I click on related topics I get an error message. I have tried going into Tools,Internet Options, Advanced. I unchecked the box for script de-bugging and the box for Display a notification for every script error was already unchecked. Error reads the same as before, (look at first posting) but now it says:
    Line: 538 and not 621 as before.

10. 911

In your original post, you said "my usual passworded desktop would say it could not detect network, so I used another desktop that didn't have a password..." I don't know what you meant by changing desktops. The "Desktop" is a windows folder that contains the stuff that is on your screen when nothing else is there. You can find it by clicking "My computer" selecting Local Disk (C), scrolling down to Windows, Clicking it, and scrolling down to Desktop. I don't think that is what you changed, but I am not sure what you actually did change. Try figuring out what you did and undo it.

I think your present problem may be related to this, because it sounds like the Help function is finding bad stuff in it's files. It should not be related to Script debugging in Internet Explorer, unless you are looking for help on the internet. Is that what you are doing ?

11. linedancer29

When this computer was first set up, I shared it with my daughter and we each had our own desktop and passwords. When I became the sole user I removed her from the list of users. When The computer started up it would bring up the user and password box, if you clicked cancel then another screen would appear but with most of my usual desktop items still there, plus a few old items that I thought I had deleted. But I had the script problem even before I stopped using a password. In fact, I think it started when I was on dial up from my old ISP (NTL) I tried to install their Broadband but couldnt get it to work, their Broadband Medic kept informing me there was an adapter error and their Technical Support were not prepared to even try and help me. So I switched to B.T.Broadband. A friend helped me to install it, and that's when I got the error notice saying it couldn't detect network. He went through my network to see if it was anything to do with the old ISP and deleted all that had NTL dial up so that my computer could not find anything to do with NTL. When he finally clicked cancel on my password and this new desktop appeared, he tried to install B.T. Broadband and found it worked. But whenever I go into I.E. it tells me it's provided by ntl:home and not B.T. Broadband. So don't know how that arose.???? But there are certain sites I visit that give me the script error message too but when I click to say I want to continue to run the script anyway it does not always make much difference to what I am viewing, (everything seems to display o.k. anyway) It's only when I click on related topics in Help and Support that it won't show anything. So even if I click on "Yes" I want to continue using scripts on this page, that nothing happens and I can't get to related topics. I think the problem first came about when I had to use Safe Mode, Like I said this computer doesn't seem to like being in Safe Mode. The first time I used it to get rid of some awful Trojan virus's that were in my restore was an awful headache because after I had managed to clear them, my computer would not start up normally but would keep going back into Safe Mode. I had an awful job with getting it to work and had to reboot the whole thing. It must have been right after that, that I kept getting script error messages. I thought it was something to do with the sites I was visiting, it was only recently I visited Help and Support and realized that the script error was affecting that too.
    I know I am probably one of the reason's blondes have a bad name, but please don't hold it against me or others because of it. Hope that sheds a little more light on the problem.

12. 911

Well, I've had a few problems of my own here. My computer really crashed Thursday night for reasons I do not understand, and I've been clawing my way back from a total delete and re-install of Windows. I have lost a lot of files and data, but I had made copies of most of the important stuff. It is slow work downloading all the MS Updates, restoring stuff, and re-installing all of the programs. If you don't have any backup methods, I strongly suggest that you get some. I have both a CD-burner, and an 80GB external Hard drive, each of which cost about $50-$80, and it was money well spent.

OK. Back to your problem. Windows keeps separate folders for each user, and it seems that you got rid of one. All data and programs that were installed by your daughter have been deleted. What you called desktops were actually different folders containing all the data for each user. (Each contained it's own Desktop folder.) I can't tell if that is part of your problem or not, but if you want to recover any of it, try going to Control Panel and clicking 'Users' to see if anything is still there. There is a program named PC inspector (Smart Recovery) that I have used to recover damaged files. http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_med.../uk/welcome.htm You will need a second drive or partition (or CDRW or Floppy) to write the recovered data to, because it cannot put the recovered data on the same drive it finds it on.

As far as 'script errors' are concerned, they come from incorrectly coded HTML (or other languages) that are used to describe text and images in webpages. Many websites contain 'errors' and many ISPs transmit noisy signals that do not get completely corrected by their protocols. It's annoying, but nothing is perfect. I think that you are finding them in 'Help and Support' because Microsoft automatically makes an on-line connection to their data-base when you ask for additional information. About the only thing I can suggest at this point is that you try this:
    In Internet Explorer: Go to Tools> Options > Programs > Click the "Reset Web Settings" button. A second window will contain a box "Also reset my home page". If you do not want to change your Home page, be sure this is unchecked.

You might also want to try refreshing your modem driver code. Go to Control panel, Click the "System" icon, select the Device Manager tab, be sure the 'View devices by type' is set, then scroll down to the Modem icon. Click the + sign, and right click the device that drops down. Click Refresh.

You might also want to replace the driver code by clicking 'Remove', then restarting your computer. Windows will detect the missing driver code, and will install a fresh copy.

If this does not help, I don't really have anything else to suggest, except perhaps that you contact your ISP and see if they can help. ---911

13. linedancer29

Thanks 911, tried the link for P.C. inspector but was in German and tried a link on that page and it tells me I caused a security error. But will try the other you suggested and let you know if it works.

14. 911

15. linedancer29

Tried what you suggested and still the same, not to worry though, someone suggested I do a search on "google" to find help and support for windows ME and put it in my favourites.
    Did a search on "google" for PC inspector and it comes up with recovery for digital photo's. Do I really need that? or is it just part of what it does?.
    Looks like I will need to get in touch with my ISP to sort out the other, probably something very simple that needs to be done but at least they'll do their best to help sort it. Thanks anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice