1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

script help

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by BTex, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTex

BTex Thread Starter

I work in a public school. We have several mobile laptop carts. Is it possible to add a script to the laptops that when executed, will ask the user for room number. let say 2205 then map a printer to the teacher station \\****-2205-ts\shared printer?

2. draceplace

draceplace

I haven't done this but it seem very do able. I googled and found this
    Code:
    Option Explicit
    Dim strPrinterUNC, objNetwork

strPrinterUNC = "\\serverName\printerShareName"

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
        objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection strPrinterUNC
        objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter strPrinterUNC
    Set objNetwork = Nothing

It needs some logic to set the printer name, see if the printer all ready exist...but this might get you started. I would be tempted to install all printers on the laptops then set 'Default' printer on prompt.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice