1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

script help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paul2432, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul2432

paul2432 Thread Starter

Background:

I use the windows power toy Tweak UI (see the MS website for description). I use the tweak called "activation follows mouse (X-mouse)". What this does is that whenever you move the mouse pointer over a window it makes that window the active window. I play some games where I frequently switch between windows so that comes in handy.

However, during other activities, it can be a pain in the butt, because it is pretty easy to inadvertantly switch windows, especially if one window is small (say calculator) and the other is full screen. Of course, I can alway go under start to bring up the Tweak UI window and change back to the normal settings. As you might imagine even this simple task can be annoying because I'll bring up the Tweak UI window, but then as I move the mouse to the Tweak UI window focus is switched to another window that is full screen. I need to either minimize all windows or alt-tab to the Tweak UI window with the mouse in the proper position.

Question:

I would like to write a script that toggles between the two settings. Ideally, I would then assign a function key to the script so I could easily toggle between settings. If the function key was not possible, then I would put a shortcut to the script on the quick launch bar.

Can anyone here tell me if this is even possible, and if so give me a few pointers on how I might do this?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. slarti

slarti

I had a similar problem with assigning a script or command to a function key. What you can do is create a shortcut on the desktop and make the target the script or command you want to use. Then you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the function key you want.

As far as the script to this, I know that Tweak UI is mostly registry settings. You might be able to find out what turns off the functionality you are using and then make a regedit command the shortcut key. There is a switch I think the -s or /s for regedit that makes the command run silent and you shouldn't see it.

Hope this helps,
    Slart

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice