1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Script running

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tpeac, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

On a couple of occasions a note appeared informing me that there was 'a script running that is slowing down my computer', but as it wasn't identified I was unable to do anything. This afternoon the message said 'a script is running on the Internet Explorer which is slowing down your computer '.

How can I track this down and stop It. Help please.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

Thank you for the site Pantom010, have checked the detail and the items are already ticked and the third is off.
    I guess I will have to work my way through all the sites or is there any other things to be tried? I haven't used IE8 recently. I'll let you know.

4. Phantom010

Actually, you should dump IE 8. It's not getting any security updates and isn't supported anymore on more and more websites. You're likely to experience a lot of similar issues, not mentioning getting infected.

Firefox would be my first choice.

5. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

Thank you Phantom010. Although I have IE8 I don't use it very often and yes I have been using Firefox and also have Palemoon. Just lately I find that Firefox appears to be taking ages to make the connection on some sites. I thought that Firefox and Palemoon were also abandoning XP. So where/what do we use instead?

What is the best course of action for IE8 do I just disable it at source or delete it altogether?

6. Phantom010

Firefox is working very well on my Windows XP Pro machine. Mozilla is not abandoning XP yet.

As for IE 8, it can't be uninstalled. It will only revert to IE 7, which is no better.

You can simply delete all desktop shortcuts for IE and stop using it.

7. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

OK.I will stop using IE and make sure I have no shortcuts for it. BUT if a script is running and I can't trace/stop it?? Thanks Phantom010.

8. Phantom010

Are you getting the script error while Internet Explorer is open, or even when it's closed? When doing what?

9. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Like Phantom said, stop using IE 8. Switch to the latest FF or Chrome.

When you load a web page, your browser automatically executes all Flash and Javascript code that is embedded on this page. That code however is ran with very limited privileges, so it can't really do any harm to your computer.

However, what that code can do if it's malicious or if it was just written poorly, is freeze up your browser and make it unresponsive. For instance, you can write a javascript code that will loop forever and add 100 images to your webpage per second. This would cause your browser to freeze very quickly.

In the old dark days of IE6, your browser would just hang and you would have to close it and restart. Nowadays modern browsers will detect if a script is causing your browser to freeze and they will pop up that message telling you that a script is running that's causing your computer to freeze, and ask if you want to terminate it. FireFox does this at least. Firefox also tells you what the script is, not sure if other browsers do that.

Both FireFox and Chrome run very well on windows XP, and should run much better than IE8. Or any IE for that matter (but that's a different topic). Use eithe Firefox or Chrome and your problems should go away.

10. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

No Phantom010, like I said, I have not used IE8 much it has mainly been Firefox and Palemoon that has been in use during the past year . I find that Palemoon has been much quicker than Firefox. The odd message about script has been when I am in the middle of getting the site and the details appearing as I have no idea what is meant by the message or what/how to correct it, I have ignored it.

Several weeks ago I tried to update Secunia as it was loading a message appeared to the effect that "the script that was running would prevent it from opening" as usual I was trying to finish the job in hand by which time I had forgotten about it, but it has never appeared.

11. tpeac

tpeac Thread Starter

Thanks PcPhoenix for the explanation.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice