Solved scroll wheel doesn't work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wolfworx

My left button on my mouse failed so I just replaced my mouse with another PS/2 optical mouse.

Under Windows 7:
Everything works properly except for the scroll wheel. The screen does not scroll when using it.

Clicking and dragging the scroll bar works for all aps tried (Word, Excel, Email), but does not scroll with the mouse wheel.

I tried similar tests on a machine running Win Xp:
The scroll wheel works on that computer.

What could be the problem using the wheel with Win 7?

wolfworx

Wheel settings??? The wheel is in place and moving. Mouse properties only provide for number of lines to scroll per notch - typically 3. No way to change anything else that I can see. Wheel works just fine when attached to my Win Xp computer.

wolfworx

Yes, I thought what that's what you meant. OK, that isn't it. Looks like the problem is Win 7 specific or a PS/2 vs. USB since the mouse wheel works under Win Xp with a PS/2 port.

wolfworx

Oh... another thing. My old mouse, the one I replaced was a "ball" mouse. This one is an optical mouse. Should not effect the wheel operation but, who knows.

Oddba11

Jim
Connection type (ie: PS/2 or USB) shouldn't matter. Nor should the sensor type (ie: physical ball or optical). More likely a Windows config glitch/issue.

As to the above, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't set to 0 or something obvious.

If there is mouse specific software installed, that could have additional settings which could conflict with the Windows settings.

wolfworx

Thanks for sticking with me on this problem, Jim. It was just plug and play with this new mouse. but just as a test, I reconnected my old mouse (the one with the bad left button). The wheel still works on that mouse.

Oddba11

Jim
Any Windows settings would affect all mice.

So it's down to any mouse specific software or some odd Windows glitch. Aside from that, I'm out of ideas.

wolfworx

I have used the wheel feature often in the past for zooming an image in PSP, so I miss the feature. Oh well.., I could spend another $5 for another mouse and see if it's wheel works. If it does -- problem solved, if it doesn't I have a spare mouse.

wolfworx

Just had a thought. Could there be an item in a registry key (wheel event?) that is preventing the mouse wheel from being recognized?

wolfworx

Negative on a USB mouse. I have been using a KVM for multiple computers which has a PS/2 mouse and keyboard input. I could play around with an adapter to allow using a USB mouse, but that may introduce more problems. This mouse connects to a Win XP computer through the KVM and the wheel works fine. That is why I thought the problem may be associ9ated with the Win 7 OS. Note that my old PS/2 mouse wheel worked on the Win 7 computer until the left mouse button failed and I replaced it.

wolfworx

Curiouser and curiouser.
Today the mouse wheel "decided" to work on the Win 7 computer!
I did nothing new. I made no changes, but today it is working properly. Quite a mystery.
While I am glad the wheel now scrolls the screen, I just hate effects with no apparent cause -- even good ones.

Anyway I am marking solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online