1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scrollbar erratic

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by osubuckeyes, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osubuckeyes

osubuckeyes Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my scrollbar jumping up and down, whether it's on the web or any program I have running. If there is a scroll bar in the window, it will jump up and down or jump all the way to the bottom the the screen and stay there. This will also happen even if I take my hand off the mouse and not touch it for a while. The mouse I am using is what came with the computer. It is not a wireless mouse. It seems that the scroll wheel will seldom work when the screen is jumping. I purchased Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare to try and take care of the problem. I thought it could be a virus or spyware causing this issue but the program has found nothing. I tried sevel freeware programs on the net to detect a virus or spyware also and they found nothing. I purchased adaware also since i heard good things about it, but it has found nothing. I am using a Dimension 2400 with celeron processor and the windows is XP. I tried looking on the web for threads relating to this topic but have found none. Can someone help!?

2. Sponsor

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What kind of mouse do you have?

4. osubuckeyes

osubuckeyes Thread Starter

The mouse came with the desktop. Its a dell roll mouse with a scroll wheel. There is a sticker on the back that has:
    DP/N: OW1668
    P/N: 851841-1000
    S/N: HCB40233891
    Don't know if this will help you, but molded in the back plastic if a bunch of names. The only one I recognize is Logitech.
    Thanks for your help!

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Sounds like you have an old mouse with the ball. If so you have probably picked dust,hair and no telling what and it is causing that jumpy rat.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes I would suggest going to the computer store and getting a good optical mouse, you will love it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice