1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scrolling text in front of image

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by mslynn, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

Good morning, All!!

I'm looking for some help with a text scroll that I have. The scroll is functioning correctly. Everything is working the way I want except for one detail. I would like the text to scroll across/in front of an image that I have. (It's currently scrolling underneath it.) I'm sure you need more detail, but I'm not sure what, so just ask. I'm still a bit of a novice at some of this stuff. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ehymel

ehymel

How about a link or a screenshot to show us your problem?

3. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

Sorry for delay. Life. :rolleyes: Anyway . . .

I'm attaching the screen shot. The scrolling text is currently underneath the menu "A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped around the heart." I want it to scroll across in the blank blue space between the pictures and the menu. The pictures & menu are a png file.

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 and Fireworks. I'm not really familiar with Fireworks, but I've been playing with it a little bit trying to figure this out. Not sure that's what I need really.

Attached Files:

4. ehymel

ehymel

Seems simple enough, but would need to see code to give specific help.

BUT... scrolling text? Really? That (thankfully) went out of style long ago. Have a good look at modern, well-designed websites. There's a reason you don't see scrolling text.

5. DrP

DrP

Ditto - scrolling text ain't a good idea.

6. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

I found your site and looked at your source code, looks good for the simplicity. I use CSS to get a scrolling function, this is the css I use. I see you don't have the CSS but also see you use statcounter for your tracker.... I can help or you can use the statcounter forum for help. The Overflow Function is what you would need to use, I think..... based on what I understand. here is what I use in CSS and place desired "scrolling content" inside a div

#history {
    position : relative;
    top : 20px;
    width : 700px;
    height : 350px;
    overflow : auto;
    margin-left : auto;
    margin-right : auto;
    border : 1px solid #034903;
    color : #000000;
    font-family : trebuchet, arial, sans-serif;
    font-weight : normal;
    font-size : 0.8em;
    text-align : left;
    padding : 6px;
    background-color : transparent;
    }

7. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

studied your home page some. Your page display's fine so wouldnt fix it if it ain't broke, but definately has coding issues...

8. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Oh, just thought of something too, My scroll function is a vertical scroll controlled by a users mouse, if your looking for an automatic horizontal scroll, I would have to find that code for you, the only problem is that it only works in IE, and not other browsers.

9. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You could probably use the Marquee tag to do this with a little css positioning rather than doing anything fancy BUT this would be IE specific.

10. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

rotarysteve & colinsp, thanks for your input. I'm may be even more of a neophyte than I thought. I understand what you're saying, but am stumbling around trying to implement. I think I'm going to have to practice a few simple things first. The owner of the site is a friend of mine's mom and she's being pretty patient with me figuring things out, so I think I'll just put the text in for now and then figure out how to get it moving where I want it.

11. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

I think colinsp has the right code for you.... I think that the marquee tag is what you are looking for.

Steve

12. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

I did read on a couple of sites that the marquee tag is supported by other browsers. They listed Mozilla, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Netscape. So that's not true? I understand the marquee tag would be IE specific, so what happens in other browsers? What would show up in its place?

13. DrP

DrP

Try it?

14. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Agree..............

I have IE, Netscape, Opera and Firefox for browsers..... I depend on IE, My Bad Maybe....

Give it a shot and see what happens....

15. mslynn

mslynn Thread Starter

I'll give it a try as soon as I get the time. Will let y'all know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!