1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Adapter/hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JW9T69, May 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JW9T69

JW9T69 Thread Starter

Gigabyte GA-6LX7 Mb, 400 MHz celeron, 64 meg ram, 13.6 gig Maxtor ide hard drive, 9 gig Seagate scsi hard drive, win 98 se, DTC 3502A scsi adapter, Toshiba scsi cd-rom.
    My scsi cdrom works fine, but. I can look at the scsi hard drive in windows and it says that it is only 19.2 meg, I can't access it in windows or dos. The on-board bios for the adapter doesn't find the hard drive or the cd-rom, but, I can still access and use the cd-rom drive.
    Also, with ASPI3520.SYS enabled, the adapter and the primary and secondary ide controllers are disabled in device manager, it also makes A: drive use ms-dos mode compatibility.
    I used the setup mode of the adapters BIOS to format the hard drive, After it formatted and I continued it says that it can't find a scsi hard drive.

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Did you run FDISK and see if the drive is visible there?

Are you sure you have your SCSI termination correct?

If there are 98 drivers for your card you shouldn't need to load a driver file in the CONFIG.SYS - as you have seen it will put you in compatibility mode if you do.

Just checked the DTC site - it says:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Windows 98 Drivers

Included - Use built-in Adaptec 151x/2x drivers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what you are using?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech
    (5/20 new, unlimited, pay to surf site added):
    http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

3. JW9T69

JW9T69 Thread Starter

I removed the cdrom and ran just the hard drive and it sees it now. After using fdisk on it, windows and fdisk both list it as only 7,840 meg, according to seagate's website it's capacity is 10,800 unformatted and 9,090 formatted. Also, with this hard drive hooked up programs take a lot longer to open and run.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, if it works without the CD I would say you have a SCSI ID or SCSI termination conflict between those two devices.

As for speed, what is the model number of the drive?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech
    (5/20 new, unlimited, pay to surf site added):
    http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice