1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Adaptor Doesn't See Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FileMaker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FileMaker

FileMaker Thread Starter

I have inherited an older IBM Netfinity 5600/8664-3AY. It is a P-3 667 with 1GB of system RAM. It also has an Adaptec AIC-7897 host adaptor with 5 Ultra-SCSI drives attached. The drives have been wiped when the unit was removed from a Chrysler dealership.

For some reason, the host adaptor is seen in the SCSI profile, but none of the drives is seen by the IBM start-up utility. I can run other drive utilities and the drives are seen on Channel 3. Oddly, the host adaptor has only Channel A or Channel B as options.

Everything else about the unit is working, but I can not get it to load a Windows or Linux OS because the drives are not recognized.

I have downloaded the drivers and utility from Adaptec for the host adaptor, but it will not execute from a floppy as described in how to run the software.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines or this particular problem?

2. dick471

dick471

Make sure that the scsi ribbon is connected to all drives & the host; that each drive has a unique ID# assigned with jumpers (don't use #7 which is the host ID & don't use #0 unless your booting from this drive); and the the ribbon or last drive has a terminator. Previous owner may have removed ID jumpers to blank the drives.

3. FileMaker

FileMaker Thread Starter

Thank you. That is some of the most useful help I've received thus far.

I am installing Windows Server 2003 on it right now. The setup CD seems to have found the first two of the five drives without problem, but I'm sure I will need more help before this process is complete.

4. FileMaker

FileMaker Thread Starter

I have installed Windows Server 2003 and am patching the OS now. Upon start up, the OS only sees a C and E drive. I imagine this is normal since only two of the drives is being accessed as main storage and I would expect the other three drives to act as RAID storage with this host controller. Does that sound typical to you?

All five drives are 18GB per drive. The OS reports that the C Drive is 74GB and that the E drive is 17.4. That would equal the approximately 90 gigs of space supplied by all five drives.

5. dick471

dick471

I have never run Raid, but it sounds like four drives are in a raid 5 configuration (thus 74gb) and the 5th is seperate. There is nothing wrong with raid 5 until one of the drives fail. You can disable the raid controller in Device Manager, blank the four drives and reload W2003 on a single drive if wanted. Good Luck!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Enter the bios for the adaptec controller and see how the drives are configured. From your description, I would guess you have 4 drives in raid0 and one as a non-member of the array. You may have the four drives in JBOD as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!