1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Drive install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RNandKT, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

Lets start with the background on my system. I put together a system a couple years ago for my wifes home computer. I tried to put together something we wouldn't really need to upgrade as even though I work in the semiconductor industry I really am not a fan of new electronics (except the bigger TV, and what guy doesn't want that). So here is a the short list of my computer.

Computer was a Gateway Bare Bones BTX FX250 I bought for dirt Cheap

Motherboard included is a Intel D915GSE2

CPU I put an Intel Pent 4 3.8Ghz processor (socket 775)

The computer has 4 Gig of Ram (the max it will take) and it has onboard video, but I added a PCI video card to run dual monitors (I don't remember the model of that card at the moment I can check if needed).

And to the issue. The hard drive I put in it at the time of putting it together was a used 140 GB IDE drive from a previous computer. This hard drive is basically wearing out. It gets errors and continues to have issues. I constantly have to run check disks and defrags and it finds more and more bad sectors. It crashes and I get blue screen of death and so on.

So I decided it was time to put a new drive in it and since I was putting a new drive I wanted to upgrade. Maybe my decision making is really my issue. Anyway so I bought a Seagate SCSI drive. (It is a Seagate Cheetah, Ultra320 model ST3146707LC), and I bought a SCSI controller (Adaptec AHA-2940UW). Of course not knowing much about SCSI I found out as I went, and had to buy the 80 pin to 68 pin adaptor and then setup on the 68 pin SCSI cable.

The new controller is installed into the PCI slot and hard drive mounted etc. The only jumper I set on the hard drive was to set it to SCSI ID 3 as I was told the card will set to ID 0 or 1.

If I boot up in windows (still on the IDE drive) the computer will see the card and installs it fine, windows has a driver for it and I didn't even need the CD for it. But it does not find the drive.

If I boot from the windows CD to install a new partition and windows on that drive, again it finds the controller just fine, but when I get to the screen to partition the hard drive it lists my IDE and an "unknown device."

I should add, originally I did not put any jumpers (which should default it to SCSI 0) and in my searching found it should not be 0 and changed it to 3, after that changed during the boot I get a message, "SCSI device found" and then immediately after something like SCSI BIOS not installed or something like that.

So I am guessing I am missing a jumper on the SCSI drive or a setting somewhere in BIOS or something. I am glad to add screenshots if helpful, but can someone please help me setup the new drive.

2. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

Sorry for the novel BTW

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why on earth did you buy SCSI?

Do you have a terminator on the SCSI cable?

The card show display it's own BIOS and list itself as well as the hard drive. Does it show the hard drive?

Also, you neglected to mention which version of Windows you are using.

In Windows, did you go to Device Manager and see if the drive showed up there? Did you also check Disk Management? It may be there and just needs to be partitioned and formatted.

4. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

Because I thought it would be faster, and I have a habit of jumping blindly into things without thinking, like an idiot.

No the drive does not show up in disk management or in device manager, and running windows XP.

That being said I looked into it further last night and I think I have figured out my problem, just not sure how to fix it. I found several more threads of people with SCSI drives and was able to get into the SCSI Bios. The adapter and the drive both show up in the SCSI bios, but it will not allow me to format it. Based on the message I got (something to the effect of Bus open or something like that, I spent some time googling it) I came to the same conclusion that it is not terminated. The SCSI Bios shows the PCI card on SCSI 7 and I tried different jumper settings on the SCSI drive for SCSI 0, 1, 2, and 3 and the SCSI Bios sees it but still wont format it.

I am guessing I have the wrong cable setup for this? The Hard drive is an 80 pin hot swappable drive, and I have an adapter on it that will convert it to either the 68 or 50 pin SCSI. The PCI Controller will also take the 68 or 50 pin cable. I had a 50 pin cable lying around at work and grabbed it, but I am thinking that is where my problem is.

Everything I have checked and googled, etc all points to it not being terminated correctly, but I honestly am not sure if I should buy a 68 pin cable and if that will fix it etc? I am thinking I should buy one if for no other reason than to allow it to run the 16 bit instead of the 8 bit, but not sure how to correctly terminate it? Or are those cables already terminated?

5. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have power connected to the 50pin to 80pin adapter correct?

The drive does not have to be on the last plug although it can, the terminator should be at the end of the cable. You can also purchase a separate terminator to attach to your existing cable but it may not be cheaper.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with Rob. Don't even understand why anyone would use SCSI now. All the enterprise companies have gone to SAS drives. I also don't understand why if you're concerned with performance why you wouldn't upgrade the entire box to take advantage of faster memory, faster processors, and faster IDE buses and drives.

8. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

Yes power is connected, it does see the drive in the SCSI bios, just won't format it. I did see those terminators, but cost about the same as ordering a terminated cable. I am going to order a terminated cable and hope that fixes it.

As far as why not go to a SSD or SAS and/or upgrade the whole machine, it comes down to 2 reasons. 1) This computer works great for what we use it for, Bills, Pictures, and other general home stuff, and I really don't need anything more or want to go through all the headache of swapping the whole machine when it won't add anything but being able to surf faster. 2) This SCSI drive was $16 brand new, and $10 for the controller brand new. I just don't wanna spend money on something I don't need.

Sad thing is I work in the industry making the newest memory.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't recall the need to "format" the drive in the SCSI utility. There are options to create RAID arrays and a low level format to completely wipe the drive.

Once you get the new cable see if it works. SCSI must be terminated.

The hard drive should be decently fast, but the controller is actually pretty slow, limited to 40MB/s while the drive could do about 80MB/s.

10. RNandKT

RNandKT Thread Starter

I am sure it will be plenty for that machine and quicker than the IDE drive anyway. Thanks for the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice