1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI hard drive died - can i switch to ide or sata?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldbuckle, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goldbuckle

goldbuckle Thread Starter

I have a Dell Tower Computer (Circa 2000-2002) that runs RIP software (Raster Image Processor) used to send graphics/image data to a machine that makes by way of laser imaging our plates or masters for our offset printing presses. Monday the hard drive failed. The Dell has Windows XP license decals on it but when booting up it display Windows 2000 NT. The computer has only 1 hard drive, a 68 pin SCSI drive and the cable to it connects to separate dual channel SCSI card which is in a slot on the motherboard. There is another SCSI card (single channel) in the slot next to it which has a cable that goes to the machine that this computer drives. The software that runs on this computer is proprietary software and I have a re-install disk for it being send via UPS Next Day Air as I type. I have an XP disk & license that I can install on what ever hard drive I can get to work here and the RIP software manufacturer said their software would work on XP. But I don't have a copy of Windows 2000 NT.

My question is that if I can't find this same hard drive locally, can I use an IDE or a SATA hard drive instead and still run the RIP software correctly? There is 2 IDE (primary & secondary) connectors directly on the motherboard. One is used for the CD rom drive, the other is unused. I am not certain but I don't believe the motherboard has a SATA connection. I have 2 good spare IDE hard drives.

If I can't make plates I can't print so I need to get this resolved ASAP. I am new here so I hope I gave enough information.

2. goldbuckle

goldbuckle Thread Starter

Anyone???

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Probably the reason no one has answered is because no one knows whether it will in your specific case.
    Generally, the way the drive is attached does not make any difference to the software that is being run.

However, there may be cases where the software directly accesses the disk itself rather than through the OS. This is usually only done where the disk access is time or format critical, which I doubt in your case.

Basically I'm saying "try it" as the cost will be low even if it fails since the disk will still be re-usable.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually no one responded because the initial post was posted at 12:10 AM when most people were asleep and the bump was less than two hours later. Generally we ask users to wait 24 hours before bumping up their threads.

Chances are that IDE will work but you'll need to adjust the boot order. Since the computer is quite old you'll probably want to use a drive that's 120GB or smaller. SATA drives would require an additional SATA controller card.

5. DaveBurnett

Only 12:10 am in Canada...... :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    True, but most forum users are in North America, even on the west coast its late and forum use lowers in those hours.

7. DaveBurnett

That was a golden opportunity to be more than a little sarcastic - he said falling off his chair.:D:rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice