1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI hard drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdkapp, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

OK you SCSI experts, I've got a question for you. First, the particulars of my computer:

Dell OptiPlex GX110, 733mhz Pentium III, 256 Mb RAM, Adaptec AHA-2940U/AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Controller with a maximum data transfer rate of 40 mb/sec., Boot drive is a SCSI IBM DCHS04W (4.50 GB) 7200 rpm with maximum data transfer rate of 40 mb/sec. and average read seek time of 7.5 ms.

Now, I just purchased a Fujitsu 18.2 GB, 10,000 rpm, SCSI hard drive, with a maximum data transfer rate of 80 mb/sec. and average read seek time of 4.7 ms.

My question: Will I benefit from the speed and efficiency of the Fujitsu drive by making it the boot drive?

I know that my SCSI controller card will limit the maximum data transfer rate to 40 mb/sec., despite the 80 mb/sec. rating of the Fujitsu, however, will the 10,000 rpm and the low average read seek time of the Fujitsu overcome the limitations of my SCSI controller card to the point that I should make the Fujitsu my boot drive? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I will tell you this... going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm spindle speed makes a major difference. So going from 7200 to 10000 will make a difference.

For me, the decision would be easy. I would put the fujitsu as my boot drive.

It's a bigger drive and it's has better access times.

3. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

If you have a performance increase what do you want to do with that gain - boot faster ? I do not boot very often, so I don't care if it takes a few milliseconds or a few seconds or even a minute or two longer - I prefer to direct any performance gains I can find towards the activities on which I spend most of my time... reading/writing DATA. (If you want to reduce boot time just don't boot)

4. slipe

slipe

Your seek times will be faster with the higher density on the Fujitsu and the latency will be faster with the higher RPM. These give advantages other than sustained throughput. I would imagine the new drive has a better buffer as well.

I think you will discover that your new drive does not exceed the capabilities of your card that much and the old drive isn’t anywhere near it when you benchmark them. Just because it can communicate the buffer at 40Mb/sec doesn’t mean the sustained throughput is anywhere near that high.

I would definitely make the new drive your boot drive. I think you will get much better performance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice