1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by i hate ram, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. i hate ram

i hate ram Thread Starter

Whenever I boot up my old computer, I get a message during bootup that tells me that the SCSI boot device is not installed. I have a SCSI hard drive connected to an Adaptec SCSI pci card. I had just taken the hard drive and card out of that computer and tried to install them on this computer, and it didnt work, so I put it back. I tried running a SCSI utility on the bootup screen, and it didnt even recognise the existance of the hard drive. It wont let me format or anything. If there is something I can do to get it working, then please post. I do not care if the solution requires reformatting, because I do not have any really crucial data on the drive.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It appears that you have a hardware issue. If the cables and jumpering are correct, it's likely that one of the SCSI devices has died, either the host adapter or the drive.

3. i hate ram

cant i ressutect it?

I know the SCSI PCI card works... if it didnt then I wouldnt get the "SCSI Configuration Utility" at startup.

Cant I try freezing it... or... flamethrower... or smacking it... something? :D

4. K7M

K7M

Make sure that you didn't cross your SCSI cable when you plugged the drive back in. red stripe to pin 1. also make sure that the terminating resistors are in place and have not been shaken loose. in your SCSI utility also check that the bios is turned on so it will use the hard drive for the boot device.

5. JohnWill

Just because the SCSI BIOS manages to display a banner, that doesn't mean it's working.

I'd try the components in another machine to narrow it down. Why bother trying to get the drive running if there's no useful data on it?

6. i hate ram

because its the only computer in my house that is "mine" and id rather start out fresh again rather than have to get rid of this computer...

7. i hate ram

i did try to put it in another computer... ever since then, (it didnt work in the other computer) when i put them back into the original computer... they didnt work.

8. JohnWill

It certainly appears that you either have a connection issue or at least one of the components is dead. If you're sure you've connected the cables correctly, I'm out of ideas, since parts replacement appears to be called for...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice