1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI HArd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMD2800, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AMD2800

AMD2800 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anyone have a good site where it can guide me on how to installed a second SCSi hard drive. I have a HP tc2120 server with one 36.4 Gb drive. I have anotherone just like that. But I never have installed and SCSI drive. I have only done the regular IDE drives. I need some help.

thanks,

AMD2800

2. Solei

Solei

3. Rockn

Rockn

Are you sure the drives aren't ATA? Looking at the specs the server has "Integrated dual-channel ATA, optional single channel SCSI"

4. dick471

dick471

I assume that you mean you have another 36.4GB hard drive and not another HP tc2120! This would install just like a second IDE HD (except you don't jumper as Master/Slave). Find a spare 68pin connector on the scsi ribbon for the second drive; set jumpers on this second drive to an ID# different than the Host card (ID#7) or the original HD (ID#?); plug in a power plug and boot. During boot click "Ctrl+A" for scsi utilities and scan the bus to make sure it found the second drive. Then go into Disk Management and format just like an IDE drive.

5. AMD2800

AMD2800 Thread Starter

It has a SCSI - plug-in card - PCI 64 / 33 MHz type Ultra 160 SCSI. so I have one 36.4 GB - standard - Ultra320 SCSI - 10000 rpm and I want to add one more. just to add more storage to my server. the first drive is ID 0 there is not jumpers. so tonight I am doing to put the another one as id 1 and see what happen.
    I really appreciate the prompt response and help. i will post later to tell how much i screw up this sever.

Thanks
    AMD2800

6. dick471

dick471

AMD2800: One more thing you might want to think about. If you power supply is marginal since scsi drives draw a lot of power on startup; also put a jumper on the front of the 2nd drive for "Delayed Start". This will give the first HD time to spin up and reduce power requirements before the second drive starts up. I run 11 scsi drives and believe me I MUST delay there startup. Increases boot time, but who cares (Have another Adult beverage during boot).

7. dick471

dick471

One more thing after re-reading your reply. There is NO reason to add another scsi drive just for storage. SCSI drives are for multi-tasking and multiple access at the same time. Storage can be put on any 400gb IDE drive in an external USB case. These can even be 5400/7200rpm type HD's. I have many USB external drives and only turn on when needed; mainly because I'm OUT of drive letters. I would use Acronis TrueImage Server edition to make the 2nd scsi HD a backup of your entire server; remove from the system; remove the ID#1 jumper and store on a shelf just in case you step in a pile of c%#@*&%$# someday.

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

The new drive should be ok with ID1 but you should also check how the scsi chain is terminated. There shold be one termination on the controller card and one on the last drive in the chain. Any other drives should be unterminated. The drives may have a terminator jumper or switch on them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice