1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI hard drives not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mujushin, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mujushin

Mujushin Thread Starter

I've been trying to setup a Dell poweredge server I have just got, and am having huge problems getting it to recognize any of the 4 SCSI hard drives I have in it. I've trailed through the BIOS and so far have found, when SCSI devices it can find the drive in port 0, if I go into the RAID array to put this hard drive into the raid setup, there are no drives. If I boot all the way through to the install for the Linux distribution I'm going to install, no drives are found to install on. I've tried running the open manager server assistant CD to no use. I've tried installing a bootable floppy with SCSI drivers on it only to be told it's not a bootable disk.

I'm at a loss and nearly at the point of accepting defeat and buying new hard drives. Surely there is something really basic or obvious I am missing?

Help or suggetsions or rational thinking would be a blessing. Thank you.

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Can we get a little more information about the model of dell server, and the size and type of scsi harddrives? I tend to not think it is the drives, I work with dell servers all day at my job, and usually it is either software crap, or a different piece of hardware has failed. what RAID controller are you using?

3. Mujushin

Mujushin Thread Starter

Ok the dell server in question is a Poweredge 2650. The hard drives are a mix of sizes and manufacturers in order 0-4 (seagate barracuda 18gb x 2, seagate barracuda 3.6 gb, unspecified hitachi drive.) the raid key is the standard 16 DMU there isn't an independant raid card in the PCI slots. But the documentation I have found online tells me there is an integrated RAID controller which will be the Adaptec one that comes up in the BIOS text. I also thought that this would not effect the fact that I can't get the system to install with the SCSI option instead of RAID even though it detects the drive in certain sections of the BIOS it will not detect it in available drives for raid, through the Dell open manager CD or through the OS install.
    If there is anything else you need to know in order to be able to help me with this it would be great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice