1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI & IDE Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MikeC578, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeC578

MikeC578 Thread Starter

I've picked up a used Dell P4 1.7 Ghz... I didn't realize it came with a SCSI drive (and PCI card obviously)... I wanted to add a second 40 GB HD as the SCSI 10 GB is too small. Can I run both a SCSI HD & an IDE HD at the same time? I've plugged in an IDE cable into the primary IDE slot on the MoBo but it doesn't seem to recognize the IDE drive. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it a little more complex than just plugging in the IDE cable & HD?
    Any help you can provide would be apreciated.

Thanx.

Mike C

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can have SCSI and IDE in the same computer.

If it is not recognizing the IDE drive, make sure that however it is set (master or slave), there is no other conflicting device on the same IDE controller. An easy way to make sure is just take off the power plug to anything else that might be there.

Also make sure that the primary controller is not somehow disabled in the computer's CMOS.

Might also look in CMOS to see if the primary master or slave (however the drive is configured) is not disabled as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice