1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

scsi NT -- how to add IDE hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ophelia_Hardin, Jul 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia_Hardin

Ophelia_Hardin Thread Starter

Built a WinNT 4.0 server using SCSI raid array. Works fine. Enabled atapi in services and it sees the IDE CD-ROM (master, secondary channel) just fine.

But it won't see the IDE HD (master, primary channel)!

Jumpers, cables, HD all okay.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Can your BIOS see the HD? If not, then your OS has no chance of ever seeing it.

Have you tried it as a Slave on the secondary controller? Or better yet, keep it as a master, and make your CD-ROM the slave on the secondary controller.

You could have a dead primary controller (I know my secondary controller is not functioning... damn, I need a new PC - who wants to help me raise funds for a new PC - any compnay that helps will get free advertising from me [​IMG] ), or a dead HD.

There could be something else wrong, but I am not that great with hardware issues. If you want, I can move this to the Hardware forum.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. Ophelia_Hardin

Ophelia_Hardin Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the HD is recognized by bios and a boot disk -- it's how I got the NT files onto the scsi drives for NT setup.

I suspect the problem one of those cryptic "services" in NT which isn't starting. Is there another service aside from atapi which I should enable?

Thanks,

Jim

(Oh wait a minute -- maybe the IDE is FAT32. That would explain it. I'll have to check when I get to the shop.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice