1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Para11ax, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Para11ax

Para11ax Thread Starter

I foolishly agreed to fix my friend's computer for him. It's turing out to be a real pain. His floppy drive failed and since he has an old custom built computer with a really strange casing, he took a hammer to the floppy drive to remove it. After this the computer would not even boot. I solved that problem by discovering that by removing his modem, the computer would magically boot, but we then discovered in ScanDisk that half of his hard drive is corrupted (probably from the hammer). Now, i want to replace his SCSI hard drive with a IDE hard drive which is the only kind i have. Taking out his old hard drive is no problem, but when I attach a hard drive that I know works to his motherboard, the computer will not boot. Also, if I remove the SCSI PCI card the computer won't boot.

There is also a strange problem with his floppy a drive. It and it's cable have 1 less pin than any of my floppy a drives. I replaced the cable and drive, but I just get a Floppy A Drive Failure Message.

What i need here is a way to get an A: in and working, an IDE hard drive in and working, or both if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

:confused:

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

1) Are any other SCSI device present on the system (i:e cd-rom)
    2) Did you set the boot order correctly in the BIOS (IDE non SCSI)
    3) If you disable the floppy disk in the BIOS, is the IDE drive detected properly
    4) Is the ribbon cable installed propely (Pin 1- toward power)
    Did the floppy drive worked properly previously
    5) What is the make and model of the system?
    6) What operating system are your planning to install?
    7) What are the sytems stats?

3. K7M

K7M

also check in the BIOS and make sure that the on-board ide controllers are enabled. they may have been disabled if the SCSI was the only drive present.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice