1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Scanner question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirley Barker, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley Barker

Shirley Barker Thread Starter

I bought a UMAX vista S6E scanner that came with a SCSI card that I have to install. I have never done anything like that but I think I can, as I found some installation instructions. Anyway, my question is, how do I know before installing this that is will be compatible with my pc? Or can I know that? I have a compaq pc with win98. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ETS

ETS

SCSI is a very old and well established standard that works on all modern PC's. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Good luck on your installation.

3. slipe

slipe

The card for that scanner fits in an ISA slot. Hope you have one available. Some newer computers don’t even have an ISA slot and some have only one or two. They use the wider plugs, usually on the bottom. You have to remove the little plate for the slot you are using. The card will only plug in one way. Ground yourself before you touch the card and make sure you push it in all the way.

You don’t want to use the original VistaScan driver that comes on the CD for that scanner in Win98 without a patch. Without the patch you will get a VMM32.VXD error on boot and only be able to get to safe mode. You can apply the patch from safe mode if the installation requires a reboot. The patch you need is “cannot find or load vmm32.vxd”: http://www.umax.com/support/download.html If you select your scanner and operating system on the same page it will take you to the download for VistaScan 2.43. This is probably newer than what you have but it still requires the patch.

All Umax SCSI scanners can use their top of the line MagicScan driver. Tell the box you have a multi-megabuck scanner like a Powerlook II and Win98. It will let you download MagicScan. You don’t need the patch with MagicScan. It will take longer to download than VistaScan though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice