1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI Tape drives.... PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thecaravanman, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

Hi

After i found out I needed a better backup as my secondary 1.2Gb HDD was getting too small to back up my 40Gb HDD to I thought about getting a bigger secondary HDD but I then saw some tape drives on eBay.

They were quite cheap (£15 - £50) and I thought about getting one but I then saw that they were SCSI! My MoBo is a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus (http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37) and I was wondering if this would support SCSI? If it dosen't then is
    there any way it may be able to?

Or are there any IDE tape drives?

Anyone got any other solutions?

Thanx
    thecaravanman:confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

SCSI isn't an issue, but you need a host adapter in addition to the tape drive. Also, some tapes will have pretty expensive media, so the end result won't be all that cost effective. I'd consider a USB 2.0 external drive for backup. You can probably have one of those around 60gigs for $100, and they'll work with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. USB 2.0 cards are about $15 and up.

3. thecaravanman

Hi

Thx for replying i have decided to get a scsi card and a cheap tape drive as this will be able to back up all the machines in my house if i network them and install the drive on mine. scsi cards on eBay are around £15 and a 10 - 20Gb tape drive is around £20 so this should be ok.

but now that my computers broke(Again):rolleyes: i will have to wait!

Thanx
    thecaravanman;)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure what kind of tape drive you'll get for $30 or so, I'm having difficulty imagining that it'll be functional. I'd do some research into the specific make/model you're looking at, as well as media costs, before making the jump! I've been using SCSI tapes for many years, back from the old DC60 3M tape days, and $30 has never purchased much, and it still doesn't.

5. thecaravanman

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!