1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI vs SATA and Ram questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by INeedGmail!!, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. INeedGmail!!

INeedGmail!! Thread Starter

I'm planning on buying an ASUS P6t Deluxe Mobo http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4268650&CatId=4068

and bunch of other good stuff like 1600 mhz ddr3 triple channel ram. Is it okay to purchase 1600mhz whih is the fastest the mobo can support and then overclock it? will it not work because the mobo limit is 1600mhz?

also whats the difference between scsi and sata hdd? I'm thinking about getting a 15k rpm scsi hdd because i dont want my hdd to limit my performance, because i have a spare sata hdd (7200 RPM) hanging around that I can use instead. but since im building a gaming pc wont the sata stump performance? I dont want to invest ina raptor hdd, because SCSI is more cost efficient and much faster with 15k rpm. is this abad idea? should i stick with sata? scsi would my my primary hdd, but i dont mind only using the hdd for games (if thats possible, i can power up both hdd's one with my OS and the other for games?)

does the ASUS mobo above have NCQ? how do i find out?

PLease help before Black friday!!!

cheers

2. Parkman

Parkman

YO just an FYI before you get all 1600 DDR3 happy with that board. When you pull it out of the box there is a sticker over all the ram slots and warns not to use ram over 1.65V cuz you might damage the new processors. Most 1600 speed ram is like 1.9 and higher so you really cant use it.
    Heres a link talking about what I'm talking about

http://www.ditii.com/2008/11/11/int...kers-followed-by-asus-p6t-deluxe-motherboard/

I tested a couple Intel boards and they were the same way with the sticker. The only board I didnt see the sticker on was the new RAMPAGE board from Asus. You definitely need to read up on this before you start buying the parts.

3. Parkman

Parkman

Also if you want good hard drive performance start looking at the solid state drives. Its like having 2 raptors in a stripe with no moving parts so less heat and less latency on reads. more $$$ though

4. Parkman

Parkman

5. INeedGmail!!

Thanks Parkman, I wasnt aware of the DIMM voltage limits. The RAM that are for sale that are triple channel all have a voltage rating of exactly 1.65V. As long as I dont OC the ram I think I should be ok.

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for a HDD preferably under 70 dollars. I saw online cheap and fast HDD's for sale.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/h.../lo_p=20/hi_p=80/form_keyword=scsi+hard+drive

will these hdd's be compatible with my mobo? are they worth it? I'm planning on just using the HDD to run my games only.

6. INeedGmail!!

could someone please give me some feedback on this please?

7. Parkman

Parkman

you cant use a scsi 15k without a scsi card. If you want 15K speed with serial ata you are looking at SAS but thats pretty expensive and def not under $70. Take a look at the Seagate 500 with 32mb cache which is fast and around your price range

8. INeedGmail!!

thanks parkman will do

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice