1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SCSI X15 HDD cooling problem or . . . ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SGtheArtist, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SGtheArtist

SGtheArtist Thread Starter

Hello,

I just completed building my new system which entails the following:

Gigabyte GA-8IDX mobo
    P4 1.8a GHz Northwood
    1536MB PC133 SDRAM
    ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 128MB
    Matrox G450 DualHead DVI PCI 32MB
    Creative SB Audigy MP3+
    Adaptec 19160 SCSI Controller Card
    Belkin F5U220 USB 2.0 Controller Card
    D-Link DGE-500T Gigabit Ethernet
    US Robotics 56k Performance Pro Modem

Seagate 18.4GB X15-36LP SCSI HDD
    Toshiba 12xDVD-ROM
    Plextor 12x10x32a CD-WR
    IBM 40GB 60GXP (In one of two removable IDE HDD racks)

OS is WinMe

My computer case is a Cheiftec DX-01BLD ??? (just like the Antec 1030 case) with a HighPower 300w P4 capable power supply.

The two rear 80's and front bottom 80mm fans are intakes as well as one 80 at the top of the side door.

I have the front top 80 and a 120mm on the side door as well as the PSU as exhaust fans.

The X15 is in the HDD case with the front top fan to suck out the hot air from the HDD.

The 64pin LVD SCSI cable is nicely "ribbon-gami"ed from the starting point (PCI slot #3) to the HDD since i have a window.

(by the way the 120, over the PCI slots, and 80, top center, on the side door are on the window)

Now to my problem. . .

yesterday I was running the computer all day and had to restart a few times with no problem. Later that night I was Jedi Knight 2 Demo and the system froze so I rebooted and came up to the BSOD stating that C: could not be written too and to restart. (By the way the SCSI is the boot drive)

After restarting the Adaptec 19160 could not see the HDD and subsequently could not boot into windows.

After this I turned off the machine and had a meal, after which I returned to work on it. I turned on the computer and the SCSI controller was then able to see the HDD and boot nicely into WinME. However I let the system run for a little while and decided to test the situation again by restarting and on the restart the SCSI controller could not see the HDD. I stopped playing with it after this and went to bed (It was late )

This morning I turn on the computer and SCSI controller can see the HDD and everything works fine. I restarted it emidiately and the SCSI controller did see the HDD and it proceeded to load into WinMe. I then shut down the computer so I could post this message to get some feedback about what could be happening.

Thinking about this situation it seems to me that there are 4 different possiblities that I can think of.

1. The power to the HDD is fluctiuating.
    2. the HDD is having cooling problems.
    3. the LVD SCSI cable is somehow messing things up.
    4. the Adaptec SCSI card itself is somehow messing things up.

I don't believe it is #1 because the HDD power connector is split between the SCSI HDD and the CPU fan and if the power was fluctiuating the I believe the fans rpm would fluctuate as well, and I have not noticed this effect.

I also don't believe it is the Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller card because it was bought retail and I have been using they system for short periods of time since I installed the SCSI HDD, and it has worked flawlessly.

So I'm left with the LVD SCSI cable (which I do not have a spare to test) and that I have curved and manipulated to make it get to where it is going as well as look nice and neat (but I did not put any hard paper folds in)

And the HDD with the cooling or lack of cooling.

I did the math on the CFM in and out of the case and the way the fans are setup now it shows a slight high pressure in the case, I've heard that slight negitive pressure is preferred however this is as close as I was able to get it, without totally redoing the wireing and such.

Well thats all I can think of sitting here right now, I appreciate everyones help.

2. cavp

cavp

for this little beast, which is the output power of your PSU??? just wondering... IMO, I'd feel safe with at least 400 W.

3. SGtheArtist

Well, I think the 300w is fine.

if the P4 runs ~75w
    the X15 runs ~15w
    the 2 other HDD's ~30w (one not listed)
    2 ROM drives ~30w
    a floppy ~10w (probably overkill :p)
    all the fans & lights in the case ~35w

Total then is ~195w without the expansion cards & RAM power consumption.

Those are just estimates and I usually shoot for over estimating then underestimating so if this doesn't look right then let me know, but I think I'm good to go here, I'm not overclocking or anything and on top of that it is running right now (haven't had the problem pop up yet today) but I think that if it wasn't going to work it wouldn't.

Also considering that max power is consumed on startup and not restart I would think that if it was the power supply unit this problem would happen on the start up, but I haven't had that happen.

Maybe it was just a fluke or something to do with a program i installed (but I don't think it is this)

Correct me if I'm wrong in my analysis, I'm not an electrical engineer, this is just my logic :)

4. Kevinwms

Kevinwms

Shaun, I heard some where that 300 w is the minimum for a P4 with 1 hdd and 1 optical drive. I would suggest with you to use a 400-450w PSU. Now, I could be wrong, but.... I dont think so, not this time.

Kevin

5. SGtheArtist

Thanks Kevin,

I looked for a minimum P4 PSU and didn't find any however I did find this site and they give some info on PSU's

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/maxpc/cases.htm

And using their numbers I think you're right.
    but I'm not sure abou that 8w per 128MB that means the ram alone would be using 96 watts !! i'm not sure about that, if that was the case the ram sure would be hot disipating all that energy.

However its running fine, so I'm not sure I think my numbers are a lower with the newer drives and hardware I'm running. I guess I'll know when it fails :/ we'll see.

Thanks for everyones replies.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice