1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SD Card Error - File Extensions Changed, Error 0x80070570

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h2olover01, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h2olover01

h2olover01 Thread Starter

First timer here, so please bear with me. Any help you can offer is MUCH appreciated!

Some of the files on my SD card have changed file extensions and appear corrupted (the modified dates are wonky and the file sizes are off). For example, a file that was formerly IMG_3324.JPG is now MG_3324J.PG, and I can't open, copy, or rename the file. When I try, I receive Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I have gone into Properties>Tools>Check. I receive the following: "We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now." However, when I click Repair Drive, I just receive the error, "There was a problem scanning and repairing this drive..."

Most of the files on the SD card are readable and work just fine. I was able to copy them to another location; however, there are about 60 or so corrupted files that I would like to repair (I don't want to lose the pictures!).

Also, any ideas what causes these errors? I want to make sure I don't repeat this in the future :-/

I'm running Windows 10, and the SD card is a Dane-Elec Proline 4GB card.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8084 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (154 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., K501UX
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You can try running an elevated CMD or Powershell window (WindosKey+X) and typing CHKDSK <sd-card-drive-letter>: /F ; but, there is a reasonable chance that the SD card has failed in which case, that won't be able to fix it and you need to buy another SD card.

3. h2olover01

h2olover01 Thread Starter

When I run chkdsk, the output is below.

Does this mean I can't recover those files? Are there other things I can try? I really really don't want to lose them. Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks in advance!

The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume EOS_DIGITAL created 12/23/2012 7:19 AM
    Volume Serial Number is 1B17-0733
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    The size of the \DCIM\100CANON\IMG_3170.JPG entry is not valid.
    \DCIM\100CANON\IMG_389J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3190J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3191J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3192J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3193J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3194J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3195J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3196J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3197J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3198J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3199J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3200J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3201J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3202J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3203J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3204J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3205J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3206J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3207J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3208J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3209J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3210J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3211J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3212J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3213J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3214J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3215J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3216J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3217J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    \DCIM\100CANON\MG_3218J.PG first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    The size of the \DCIM\100CANON\IMG_3242.JPG entry is not valid.
    \DCIM\100CANON\IMG_3242.JPG is cross-linked on allocation unit 21187.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You can try a data recovery tool that is designed to find JPG images by their signature (its at the beginning of each JPG); but, if that doesn't do it, you should format the sdcard and move on.
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ (Use the wizard and its a free trial that you only need to buy if it does what you need)

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. sagarshah098

sagarshah098

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice