1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SDRAM or RDRAM??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

which is better, SDRAM or RDRAM??

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

RDRAM is RAMBUS

Savvy :)

3. starwolf39

i know that RDRAM is Rambus, but which of the two is BETTER??

SDRAM or RDRAM??

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

well depends on the system don't you think... mine has the new Rambus pc800 rdram. I have no idea if its any better or not. Im on a new system & do not have enuff ram installed but working on it.

Someone w/ more knowledge will answer soon

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

RDRAM together with the Pentium 4 provides far better performance compared to the Pentium 4 with SDRAM. Since I'm not aware of an AMD chipset that uses RDRAM, I assume you're considering purchasing a Pentium 4 system. RDRAM is optimized to work with the Pentium 4 400Mhz bus. SDRAM only uses a max. of 133Mhz bus, so you wouldn't be fully utilizing the bus speed.

6. starwolf39

ok here's the pc i currently have:

1.3 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
    128 MB RDRAM
    40.0 GB HD
    CD-RW
    DVD

The one that I was considering buying and keeping for myself, while then getting rid of the previous one is this:

1.7 Ghz Processor
    512 MB SDRAM
    80.0 GB HD
    CD-RW
    DVD

Even though it seems obvious that the 2nd is much better, I researched the 2nd further. I found that this one has only 2 total memory slots, while the 1st comp has a total of 4 slots, which i prefer more. Even though I like the second a lot, I really want memory expandibilty, which seems much easier in the first PC.

So how much better is the 2nd comp than the 1st?? Note: I'm getting the 2nd for free, in exchange for the second, so the money issue is irrelevant. Is there any way to change the type of RAM accepted by the 1.7 Ghz? And how much better is the 1.7 Ghz than the 1.3???

Lots of questions, I know. Please answer ASAP! Thanks.

I should also have mentioned that the 1st PC is an HP Pavilion 7960, while the 2nd is an HP Pavilion 7965. Sorry for that.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

so you have a P4 also... & I am assuming you already know in the P4 you must run matching pairs ... right? you can add another 256MB's of RAMBUS for $100.00

8. starwolf39

i already looked at the options for upgrading my current PC. the thing is, i have the opportunity to get a NEW PC which looks much better for free. all i have to do is give up my old PC.

i want to know if it's worth it based the info i already left in my previous post.

9. kramnnim

kramnnim

Or better yet, get an Athlon with DDR, :D

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

can you change the RAM type? I mean is there a real way to change it without rebuilding your system?
    Gee...... you know what though... I would go for it.

krammin where in NC are you

11. starwolf39

that's pretty much the question that i wanted to know savvy. the ideal situation is for me to get the 1.7 ghz with 512 MB of RDRAM, since i now know that it works better than the SDRAM.

hey max19, u gave me a good answer before, can u do it again??

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I'd take it..........can't be that much difference

13. kramnnim

kramnnim

Starwolf: I dont think a MB that supports SDRAM would be able to use RDRAM, so you wouldnt be able to upgrade to RD without a new MB. (I may be wrong)

Savvy: About 40 miles south of Winston-Salem. I drove through Martinsburg just a few weeks ago (was going to PA). Know someone here in NC?

(Edit: Oops, got Martinsburg confused with Martinsville, =b)

(Edit #2: Wow, I'm really confused. Now I see you're in Virginia, and not WV.)

14. starwolf39

AAAAAHHH!!

can someone with some more knowledge on this subject please give me a better answer!?

sorry savvy, but u dont seem to know too much about this.

15. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

A Pentium 4 motherboard can use only RDRAM or SDRAM. Both types of memory can't be used on the same board.

I wouldn't recommend trading an RDRAM P4 for a SDRAM P4. Keep what you have. Here's a link to a review.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,63343,00.asp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice