1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SDRAM vs DDR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jssch, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

When looking for a new system which RAM is better SDRam or DDR?

2. Rockn

Rockn

DDR (Double Data Rate)

3. pronute

pronute

DDR is faster it starts at PC1600 (200MHz) to PC3700 (466MHz) if you go for DDR make sure the board you pick can handle the DDR speed you pick you don't want to be forced to under clock your memery after all.

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

DDR is supposed to be faster but SDRAM is cheaper, also some chipsets (cough sis) run almost as fast with sdram as with ddr negating any benefit of using it.

Look at reviews, if your on a budget get a cheap board and sdram with an OK video card, if you need the absolute fastest get a board with a high FSB and full DDR support. Of coarse in the real world the difference in speed can sometimes be unnoticable except via benchmark.

Cheers

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the price difference between SDRAM and DDR has come way down, Pricewatch has PC-133 SDRAM $40/512mb and PC2100 DDR $51/512mb. For twice the memory bandwidth, I think I'd spend the $11, wouldn't you? :)

6. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

IF i find a cheap system that has integrated graphics, I want to make sure that it has a slot for a video card upgrade correct?

What kind of slot is it? Or basically if I buy a cheap end system what do I want to make sure it has

7. JohnWill

You want to make sure it has an AGP-4 slot, although an AGP-2 is a lot better than plain PCI for the video card.

8. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

When I look at RAM on Pricewatch and it says (not high density) what does that mean and does it make a difference?

9. chewie1012

chewie1012

I am not sure about the high density question but I would get a board without integrated video. If sound goes bad on an integrated board you can always add a sound card but when the video goes bad on an integrated board you can't see anything to add a new card. Just my humble opinion. You can save money on your mobo if it takes sdram instead ddr. I have ddr ram myself. I wouldn't hesitate to buy sdram for my kids computer though.

10. rmay635703

rmay635703

Whoa SDRAM has gone up, the last 512mb PC133 dimm I bought was $27 with the shipping (november). Last year (2001 dec) I bought 5 PC133 256mb dimms for $9 each around christmas, SDRAM just keeps going up and up.

11. chewie1012

chewie1012

If you watch the sunday papers you can find it for almost nothing with rebates.

12. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Would the Ram I want be different based on processors?

Is DDR ok for Athlon XP?

How would I know if the motherboard can handle DDR?

And when it says (not high density) on the DDR what does that mean and does it make a difference?

13. blackfriar

blackfriar

Not sure on the high density question, but just wanted to relay a tip on DDR ram.

I just bought an intel board w/ a P4 1.8Ghz and 512 MB DDR 2700 Ram

This ram uses a speed of 333Mhz but after reading my documentation for the processor it would only operate at 266Mhz w/ the pentium 1.8 processor.

So I returned the Processor and spent the extra 80$ for the P4 2.4b Ghz and now the ram can use it's full potential.

Just something else to watch for when buying ram.

14. rmay635703

rmay635703

DDR is faster, you would want it with any processor out there today (amd,intel,via) if you have a few $$ extra to get it.

Knowing whether or not a motherboard supports DDR is very simple,

1st read the manual or online specs they will ALWAYS say when they have ddr or sdram support, most boards today support ddr.

2nd if you have a miscelaneous motherboard laying around you will notice that the sockets are shaped only to fit one kind of ram, if you try to put ddr in an sdram system it simply does not fit in the socket plain and simple.

3 If you have the time to count the pins on your motherboard you will find 168 pins on an sdram socket and more on a ddr socket.

Also generally anything over about 1.5/2yrs old doesn't have ddr.

Cheers

15. JohnWill

The slot for DDR memory is missing one of the key notches, two for SDRAM, one for DDR memory. It's easy to see which will fit into the slots. They are almost the same size, so the easiest way to check is the key bumps in the socket. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice