1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SDRAM vs DIMM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AtechGuy, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AtechGuy

AtechGuy Thread Starter

I was a little confused, but can anyone tell me the difference between SDRAM & DIMM....actually, is theer a site that explains ALL types of ram? Webopedia isn't that big of help.

Thanks!

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

DIMM = Duel Inline Memory Module
    SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module

DIMM is basiclly 2 SIMMS put together.

SDRAM & DIMMS are not "compariable" as their relationship is not competitive. ie: Its like saying "What is the difference between a Ford and a car".

SD-RAM = Static Dynamic RAM
    DDR-RAM = (A varient of SD-RAM) "SDRAM DDR" Is Double Data Rate, basiclly as the name says.
    RD-RAM = er, forgot what the R means... Rapid? Rabied - something that intel tried to force down users throats for their own profit (ie: Intel got royalities from each RD stick sold) to get moe control of the memory market. hence causing a huge spike in RAM prices about 2~3 years ago. It was not needed when it first came out (Pentium3) and as proven, while it was better for the P4 to use it - it was never a great memory type due to its high latency.... and its price. All new Intel boards are using DDR now.

3. AtechGuy

AtechGuy Thread Starter

Thanks. If a person was running DIMM's, can he take those out and slap in SDRAM so it runs faster?

Thanks again!

4. mobo

mobo

Depends on the motherboard. some older model boards recieved two types of ram but in any event locate the make and model then look up the manufacturer's site on the specs on your board.

FYI ..those boards took edo and sd ram ...

5. AtechGuy

AtechGuy Thread Starter

Thanks!

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

??? Explain... taking DIMMS out and slap in SDRAM? Thats like saying, "Sell a White Ford Mustang to replace it with another white ford mustang with red interior to make it faster".

If your monitor display (The screen) is a 17" model, would replacing it with another 17" model make it bigger?

What are you TRYING to do?

What do you have?

7. raybro

raybro

According to Crucial..

SDRAM is Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory

RDRAM is Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory :cool:

They are not interchangable. :D

This also from the Crucial site:

DIMM stands for dual inline memory module, and SIMM stands for single inline memory module. The gold or tin pins on the lower edge of the front and back of a SIMM are connected, providing a single communication path between the module and the system. The pins on a DIMM are not connected, providing two communication paths between the module and the system, one in the front and one in the back.

SIMMs and DIMMs are not interchangeable; they are different sizes and they install into different types of sockets.

8. carltasha

carltasha

static ram is mucho expinsive and is used only for the cash, the s stands for synchcronos d ram .

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Er - yep, I was in error on that one! My Amiga3000 uses Static RAM (RIMMs) - expensive!

I was tired when I posted that! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/161660