1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate 1.5TB External hard drive constantly clicking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr8, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr8

Mr8 Thread Starter

I purchased a 1.5tb Seagate external hard drive Christmas last year since then it has clicked loudly when writing or reading large files (it makes no noise when idle). The problem has been widely documented online as seen in videos such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgJe9R0QpmI. Although I have yet to see a solution that would fix the problem.

There is one video that I have found seeming to offer a fix but it requires quite serious dismantling of the drive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1pEVjReNA)

Does ANYBODY know a fix from the clicking? I don't mind using the fix seen above if anyone can explain how inserting a piece of paper into the bottom of the drive will stop the clicking.

PS: Seagate refuse to acknowledge there is a problem with their drives and instead offers a replacement drive and from the research I have seen it is a pointless transition as they all have the same problem.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

People have apparently fixed it by using better USB cables, a powered USB hub, updating the drive's firmware, or the method above.

My guess is that the enclosure has poorly soldered connections or there's a short occurring. Poor soldering on the connector/board could explain why changing the USB cable, powered USB hub, or changing the positioning of the connectors/board seems to work for some people.

Normally this clicking would be attributed to a failing drive, but this appears to be a case of poor design/quality with the enclosure.

You could also just shove the drive into another USB enclosure and trash the Seagate garbage.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Vantec makes excellent external enclosures around $30. Personally, I would spend the money on a new enclosure rather than go through the repair process. You will still have to open the old enclosure and transplant the drive, but I do believe the Vantec hardware is going to be more reliable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017065