1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate 1TB drive warranty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jay_JWLH, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

I have been looking at getting a 1TB hard drive, the setup and reason on my computer I won't explain. However the brand I like the look of is Seagate. WD choose to go green, which is about the only feature they like to brag about. Nothing seems any better than Seagate with Hitachi.

So far I understand they have two models, which is why I looked up "ST31000340NS vs ST31000340AS" in google. The actual difference is small, being the NS having more restistance to shock because they might be used in trays of hard drives. Can you imagine getting read errors all because four of the other HDD's are creating problems to one other on the same tray? Oh and the amount of hours it is expected to have in it's life. I suppose I don't mind which model I choose out of the two as long as it is available, and is the cheaper one.

The main question I have to ask is why (from what I have noticed in NZ), is there usually a 1 year RTB warranty on this drive, when Seagate offer 5 years warranty which is a lot compared to other HDD companies? I can understand if they reduce 1 year on the drive, but I am missing a pretty big 4 years warranty. If I can't get that warrenty, how can I get that somewhere else?

2. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Bump....

3. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Bump.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If RTB is a return to business warranty ,That's pretty good in my opinion.
    The retailers around here usually have policies that range from 15
    to 90 days for returns.
    The seagate warranty is seperate from any return warranties and
    requires that you have the original receipt and fill out a return merchandise
    authorization request at their website.
    So you have to send a bad drive to them instaed of returning it to the business,
    for replacement.

I actually prefer seagate at this point.
    I have had a drive running for at least 3 years now with no problems.
    I have had several western digitals die on me.

The first drive you listed is an enterprise level drive,and built to
    higher standards.
    The second appears to be for standard use.
    So,if you want to save the money take the second.

I would contact seagate through email at their website and ask about the warranty.
    I am pretty sure it applies for mail in replacement.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice