1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate 320g external hd won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wm_miller, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wm_miller

wm_miller Thread Starter

I bought a Seagate 320 gig external hard drive about 5 days ago to back up my files on my laptop as I had to reformat my internal harddrive.

Everything was going great. I was in the middle of restoring my files onto my laptop when the external hard drive tipped over because a accidentally snagged the cord. I immediately received an error message that the data transfer was interrupted and no device could be found. I could no longer navigate to the external.

I did a reboot and it would not recognize the external hd. It makes a whirring sound and a couple of faint beeps. This will go on for about a minute, then stops. The front panel light is on at the time. It does not appear on the device manager at all.

I have tried booting the external with other computers, with the same results.

I had read in other threads that it is possible to try and retrieve the data by taking the external from the case and slaving it to an internal hard drive. My only problem is that I do not know how to do this, or even if it is possible with just a laptop (I have a Dell Inspiron 20gb hd, running on win xp).

Is there anyone on this forum that would be willing to attempt this for me? I can live with the loss of pretty much everything on there except my daughter's pictures. I bought this drive to act as a back up for my laptop as my cd writer drive is dead. Now, it has quit working before I could retrieve them. I am willing to pay. I am unemployed right now, but this means more to me than any dollar amount.

2. wm_miller

wm_miller Thread Starter

I should note that the warranty means nothing to me. It is the files that are important. I will take any chance.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Contact a builder or repair facility near you. Some should be able to slave the drive to one of their machines and get the data off, or if necessary use various software programs for data recovery. If the drive is not spinning, then it would need to go to a data recovery firm that has a clean room for the disks to be removed.

Most (not all) the externals I get in for data recovery have problems with the IDE or SATA to USB adapter rather than the drive itself. IF it is the adapter that is damaged recovery is fairly easy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice